Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Specialty Handgun Hunting

Specialty Handgun Hunting Techniques For Specialty Handgun Hunting

handgun for a quiet backpack gun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2008, 01:52 AM

handgun for a quiet backpack gun?

Question for you guysÖ Iím wanting a quiet backpack gun for when I go archery hunting and muzzleloading since I often see coyotes and bobcats and would love to pop them but donít want the noise. I plan to build a .338 Spectre (subsonic 300 gr SMK) that should be good out to at least 200 yards. Iíll be using a suppressor. Weight, but more importantly compactness, is a concern.

Iím thinking of a Contender pistol with a 15Ē barrel and a scope. This will also let me use the handgun for silhouette shooting if I ever decide to try that.

Iíve never hunted with a handgun. How *practical* is it? Iím use to shouldering a rifle and firing. Is a handgun accurate out to 200 yards for small game or does it take a lot of practice (silhouette, etc) to get there? Or is there a practical way to rest the handgun while hunting?

Any other tips to get what Iím after? Thanks.

Joa
Old 12-05-2008, 08:06 AM
Platinum Member

Re: handgun for a quiet backpack gun?

Mike Bellm - Table of Contents

Go to this link at look at the either the standard 300 Whisper (221 Fireball or 223 case) with 125 Btip or the 300 Whisp-R (357 Max case). email Mike about the Whisp-R, he is doing a couple barrels now.

With a can I would look at the 12" barrels just for compactness. ?there is no practical difference in accuracy between the 10-15 inch.

Mike here does all the work modifying the T/Cs and top notch work.

I have done the same thing with my 10" Hornet in a backpack, only the hornet is only good for 125-150 comfortably.

You can use harris bipod or one of the folding/extendable shooting sticks and I can shoot 1.5" groups routinely at 100.

BH
Old 12-05-2008, 06:15 PM
Silver Member

[QUOTE=sigmatero;244579]Question for you guysÖ Iím wanting a quiet backpack gun for when I go archery hunting and muzzleloading since I often see coyotes and bobcats and would love to pop them but donít want the noise. I plan to build a .338 Spectre (subsonic 300 gr SMK) that should be good out to at least 200 yards. Iíll be using a suppressor. Weight, but more importantly compactness, is a concern.

I got my first coyote with a Contender in 6tcu, based on a 223 case.

Iím thinking of a Contender pistol with a 15Ē barrel and a scope. This will also let me use the handgun for silhouette shooting if I ever decide to try that.

I also use it for silhouettes which has GREATLY helped my hunting. Lots of great people and you can usually try other shooters guns to see what they are like, so you don't have to buy one first to find out what they are like to shoot.

Iíve never hunted with a handgun. How *practical* is it? Iím use to shouldering a rifle and firing. Is a handgun accurate out to 200 yards for small game or does it take a lot of practice (silhouette, etc) to get there? Or is there a practical way to rest the handgun while hunting?

You won't get the fast shots, at least I don't . I got my last coyote at 249 yds with my Savage Striker in 22-250 resting on a pair of 5/8 hardwood dowels set up as shooting sticks.

Any other tips to get what Iím after? Thanks.

I know this guy named Len that on his first time shooting a XP 100R in 260 shot 2 shots just outside of a 1" dot at 100 yds off a bench then took a shot sitting with shooting sticks and got that shot right in the center of the dot ;-)) I believe your shooting ability from rifles will carry over to handguns.
If you want a custom holster try Dave at QuietHide Holsters
BTW I use rifle scopes on my handguns, even my new Savage in 338/300 WSM. That's a 4.5x 14 Lupy on the Striker in the pic.

Mike
Old 12-05-2008, 06:19 PM
Silver Member

I agree with BH too, Mike does great work. I have a 300/221 rimmed that Mike chambered and it's a real shooter.

Mike
Old 12-05-2008, 11:28 PM

Good stuff from all.

Do you find most of your handgun shots are taken standing, sitting, braced, etc?
Old 12-06-2008, 09:48 AM
Silver Member

For coyotes I'm sitting with shooting sticks or off hand if in close, that's lots of fun.
For big game out west it's a br bi pod 6-9". But you have to remain open to using rocks or other habitat if you run into tall grass or other obstacle in the way.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:34 AM
Silver Member

http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/k...r/HPIM1322.jpg

A decade ago I quit using the two gun system because of quality heavy hitting handuns available for hunting. A handgun is every bit as accurate as a rifle if one spends the time learning. With the advent of the Encore and the use of high pressure cartridges or any number of bolt action pistols there really isn't a limit on distances other than ones abilities and the cartridge choice limit.

I for one think any one of a number of subsonic calibers are adequate for 200 yard shots on varmints. Many will be good well beyond 200 yards. Prediminately all of my shots close or very long range are from a folding style bi-pod using any number of natural rests in the areas I hunt. I hunt with a external frame pack 100% of the time and depending on the situation, either lay the pack across a rock or log or stand it on end and rest the weapon across it.

Very effective.

Neal

Last edited by hammertyme; 12-07-2008 at 09:39 AM.