Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Specialty Handgun Hunting

Specialty Handgun Hunting Techniques For Specialty Handgun Hunting

Handgun Hunting in AZ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2013, 01:36 PM
Bronze Member

Handgun Hunting in AZ

I was thinking of getting into the handgun game for Javelina and maybe deer sized game. I have a lot of handgunning experience but not with hunting. Mostly with 1911's, Glocks, etc. what calibers and makes and models would you guys recommend and what questions am I not asking?
Old 06-09-2013, 02:45 PM
SPONSOR

Re: Handgun Hunting in AZ

Are you looking to hunt with a revolver or a single-shot handgun?
Distances?
Preferred style(s) of hunting?
Quote:
Originally Posted by augnmike View Post
I was thinking of getting into the handgun game for Javelina and maybe deer sized game. I have a lot of handgunning experience but not with hunting. Mostly with 1911's, Glocks, etc. what calibers and makes and models would you guys recommend and what questions am I not asking?
Old 06-09-2013, 02:49 PM
Bronze Member

I'm not against either SS or revolver at this point. I will likely be glassing and planning stalks on game. I kind of like the TC guns but frankly I don't know why, looks I guess. I used to own S/W .41 mags but sold them all (stupid). Distances I am not in the know on with handgun hunting but I would guess averages are 25-75 yards, again I have never done it.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:39 PM
SPONSOR

If you like the TC's, then Contender/G-2 or Encore?
With the Contender, the 14" 7x30 Waters will give you way beyond 150 yards on deer sized game.
The Encore while heavier will allow you to shoot almost any bottleneck cartridge.
Both action design let you still use straight wall cartridges as well.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:40 PM
SPONSOR

Do you reload?
Old 06-10-2013, 01:45 PM
Bronze Member

Yes I have in the past but not lately. I do have Corbon do some reloading for me though and anything is possible with them. I don't shoot a lot so when I get a rifle dialed in with the right load a hundred rounds of ammo lasts me a long time. I sent a 6x47 bolt gun to Pete at Corbon and he rechambered it to 6x47 and sent me 100 rounds of what he determined to be the best load for it. It shoots one ragged hole at 100 yards now. I was wondering if I should consider getting a caliber pistol the same as what I own in rifles but I guess that would not matter since it would not likely shoot the same configuration round given the barrel length difference.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:51 PM
Bronze Member

I just looked up the 7x30 waters and it can be bought OTC correct? If so that is a big plus.