Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Specialty Handgun Hunting

Specialty Handgun Hunting Techniques For Specialty Handgun Hunting

Encore Rifle or Handgun....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2007, 12:14 PM
Gold Member

Encore Rifle or Handgun....

I can't remember where I read it, and am work so don't have but a minute here and there to check in on here.

I was wandering which way is it you can go, installing a rifle barrel on a handgun frame or a handgun barrel on a rifle frame?

I would think the first of the two but wanted to be sure before dumping the bucks into one and then finding out I got it the wrong way.

Thanks,

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"
Old 10-18-2007, 01:11 PM
Bronze Member

My understanding is the encore and contender are not designated as rifle or pistol. I don't think it matters in this instance but maybe somebody will shed some more light on subject.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:31 PM
Gold Member

Cant swap between Encore and Contender.......but Encore can be anything you want be careful with barrel lenght and stock combos. In other words use rifle barrels with a stock and pistol barrels with a grip.

I wanna say they came out with a new contender and the barrels will swap old to new style(dont hold me to that but its in the back of my head) I only own Encores.

Looked em up the New as I called is a G2 barrels will swap forarms will(except Harret) stocks and grips will not. Look up T/C Arms bottom of G2 page.

Mike you are talking compatability and not simply legality....If so you cant turn a rifle into a pistol. But whos gonna check ATF drop by your place often?

added note the only part of an Encore that must be registered is the frame so hope that might help...

Got an update on something I now remeber....the frame is what TC registered it with the ATF on manufacture....could be rifle could be pistol in that regard I would say yes ok to turn a pistol into a rifle but not the other way. But insure you use proper stock and grips...and comply with any state regulations....

This is the reason you Cannot ship an Encore as a M/L....barrel change and its now a rifle or pistol unregistered as either.

There was a big post on all this somewhere around X-mas in here Now Mike that your totally confused have a nice day!

Last edited by NYLES; 10-18-2007 at 02:24 PM.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:39 PM
Platinum Member

41mag

Here is a good read from a guy that specializes in the TC's Converting Rifles to Handguns

Chris
Old 10-18-2007, 03:51 PM
Platinum Member

Encore pistol to a rifle is OK legal so long as the barrelis over 16" when their is a butt stock attached.

you can use an Encore rilfe frame into a handgun but you have to pay a one time $200 short barreled rifle tax to the ATF to make it legal , if you get the numbers on you encore rifle run through the system and it has a barrel less than 16" your gunna be in trouble because the numbers are going to show a rifle but if you convert you encore pistol to a rilfe and the numbers are run its going to come back as ahandgun and nobody cares how long the barrel is on a handgun.

so in the end if your planning to use your Encore as a rifle and handgun then you need to buy the pistol so then numbers are regestered as a handgun
Old 10-18-2007, 07:54 PM
Gold Member

JJ,
Your on it man one question, How do you know what you have if say you just purchased a frame? Do retailers that do sell just frames pass this info along?
Old 10-18-2007, 09:09 PM
Gold Member

WEll my intentions were to look into getting one of the Encore pistols in something useful that I have components for, and then picking up a couple of barrels in calibers that the grandson could shoot more rounds through like a .223 .

Thanks for your input and the link. They just opened a new Bass Pro Shop a few miles away and I figured that if y chance I seen a deal I would go ahead with it. After looking over some of their prices, I ended up heading out the door with only the sales ad they handed me on the way in.

Thanks again, I got plenty of time to look around.

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"