Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Specialty Handgun Hunting

Specialty Handgun Hunting Techniques For Specialty Handgun Hunting

Encore accuracy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2008, 08:40 AM
Bronze Member

Encore accuracy

Just picked up a new encore in 22-250, with a 15" barrel. I know not the ideal platform for long range handgun, but is the most economical. I was wondering what I need to do to get the most accuracy out of it? Is there a way to bed the fore end or float the barrel? New to the handgun world, but from reading here looks like to much fun to pass up. Thanks in advance.

Merlin
Old 10-22-2008, 10:42 AM
SPONSOR

Re: Encore accuracy

Merlin,
Congrats on your first specialty pistol.
It is impossible to free float the barrel on a TC but you can install aluminum pillars in your stock and or you can buy some forends that use polymers or aluminum to get you the best possible accuracy set-up.
Also, there is one unique rest set-up that is quite different, called the Bower rest System Bower Shooting Products LLC
You would need a forend from them and have a wood grip also modified, plus the rest itself. For LR steel shooting or pd's this would be my favored choice.

For hunting circumstances Neal Cooper sells a forend that I would buy for regular hunting (with or without a bi-pod).
Old 10-22-2008, 10:54 AM
Silver Member

Merlin,
There are 'hanger bars' you can mount on your barrel that are very common way to 'float' the barrel.
Forend Hanger Bars : Stratton Custom Gun Accessories and Services, Formerly with Virgin Valley Custom Guns
Fred at Bullberry also make the same thing. You will need a forend cut out to fit them.
INDEX makes grips and forends for T/C's .
If you want to go with pillars then try here.
Tony's Forends and Grips
Have fun shooting !!

Mike
Old 10-22-2008, 12:53 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks guys. I will be looking at both these setups. Chances are at first it will shoot better than I can shoot it. Like the idea of the pillars, I could do that myself. I think! Always nice to have access to this amount of knowledge and experience. I'll post after I get some shooting in with it.