Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Specialty Handgun Hunting

Specialty Handgun Hunting Techniques For Specialty Handgun Hunting

decisions decisions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2007, 12:55 AM
Silver Member

right now i dont use either one because i dont shoot any further than 350 and i have it zeroed at 250. i think i would like the reticle rifle scope. i would really like to get the 6.5 wsm as it sounds from everyone that it would be best. there must be someplace i can buy loads for this isnt there? the 100r is not what i would use i just liked the way it laid in the shooting bag. any opinions on the rear grip instead of the center? i think the center would be better once you get that heavy barrel on it but stock from the factory i thought the 100r sat very still in a long shooting bag.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:48 AM
Gold Member

7mm Rem Saum

Hi I would look at the Remington 7mm SAUM it is a great cartridge and with 140gr projectiles it is sure to do the job + more. I have a 7mm Saum on a Rem model7 nwith a 22" barrel and it has verry little recoil it actualy had les recoil than my 20" barreled magnaported 308 before I fitted the muzzle break. fit a 18" barrel and you could fire factory ammo or a friend could reload for you and you will probably get twice the barrel life than a 6.5WSM.

Cheers Bill
Australia
Old 12-14-2007, 09:00 AM
SPONSOR

The 7mm Saum & 7 WSM ( and the other WSM's - 270 & 300) will allow you to use factory ammo.
Personally for the ease of it all (factory ammo) & caliber preference I would go with a 27, 7mm or 30 cal to meet your goals. I would lean to the 27 or 7mm over the 30, but the 30 will get there just fine.

Rear and center grip stocks come as a matter of preference.
Most of mine are center-grip.
Rear grips allow you to use regular rifle triggers which include lighter pulls if so desired (possible magazine for a follow up shots) and a slightly faster locktime. Center-grips allow a better balance and when using a riflescope it is easier to get closer to the ocular.
Joel Russo can get you a center-grip & I think a rear-grip in one of his laminated stocks. He can give you just about any type of forend you want. McMillan & H-S makes center grip stocks as well which are very good.

I would go on-line and check out bullet options (weights/types) with the SAUM & WSM cartridges.
OR
Since you are considering spending this much money to build a LR specialty handgun, why not learn to reload while you are waiting for it to be built (even if you choose a factory cartridge)

SEB Coaxial Front Rest - Dealer
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...t-by-sam-hall/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCsyjQr0Yrc

"Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh no.........they're awake!""
Old 12-14-2007, 12:26 PM
Silver Member

ok here is what i am thinking after all of your input

i think i will either learn to load my own if it is no big deal or i will buy them from someone so i can stick with the 6.5 wsm (len seemed to think that in wisconsin i would be happiest with this) and i think i will get 1 with the center stock and a rifle scope with reticles and 1 with a rear grip stock and a pistol scope then i will see what i like best and sell the other.

what do you guys think about that plan? am i missing anything?
Old 12-15-2007, 01:30 PM
Platinum Member

If you don't reload I would go with something easier to learn to reload. A 6.5 WSM will require you to neck it down and stuff, a 7mm WSM is "almost" the same, easier to load for, plus if you don't want to reload you can buy factory. Or even a 264 Magnum, that would be a 6.5 you might be able to find ammo for.
Old 12-15-2007, 03:53 PM
SPONSOR

Dennis,
Welcome to the SP ranks!!!
Can't wait to see the baby once it is done.

SEB Coaxial Front Rest - Dealer
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...t-by-sam-hall/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCsyjQr0Yrc

"Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh no.........they're awake!""
Old 12-15-2007, 09:29 PM
Silver Member

Thanks to everyone for all the input. I hunt in an area like Len and can only use a pistol,muzzleloader or shotgun and i have been trying to figure out how to get a 350 yard slam dunk gun. I looked at the smokeless muzzleloaders and countless pistols and many many websites. I learned more from this group in a very short amount of time than from all the others combined.I feel I am on my way to getting where i want to go.

Thank you