Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Specialty Handgun Hunting

Specialty Handgun Hunting Techniques For Specialty Handgun Hunting

building first SP! help please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2010, 02:11 AM
SPONSOR

Re: building first SP! help please

cowboy,
Contour is going to depend on your uses. If not carrying it for great distances or in the mountains, a heavier barrel is advantageous for several reasons.
One of the Russo stock's is a clone of the H-S. I like the feel of the H-S stock.
Cartridge is a personal choice, again, depending on what you want to accomplish..
The brake on my 7mm SAUM is Holland's Radial and the brake on the 338AX is Kirby's 5-Port PK (Pain-Killer).
I have more of Holland's radial than anything else.
I went with the PK brake because of the Lapua Improved case.
What types of shooting do you plan to do with it?
If field or hunting I like Holland's ART Reticle the most in a First Focal Plane scope. The scope on the 7 SAUM is FFP Leupold Mark 6.5-20 with ART Reticle.
If you have more questions about the ART Reticle my email address is ernieemily@yahoo.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy717 View Post
I'm not going to build of my 35, its just in too good of shape to tear apart n shoots wonderful with 180 hornadys. I'm scouting for another to build off of. Gathering info as I go. I'm really in love with the Russo center grip stock. And been looking into the 7 saum as the caliber as I already have a rifle in the caliber I have dies already.
What contour barrel would u suggest? I really like those two XPs Ernie! They are what I'm kinda wanting my XP to end up like. What kind of muzzle breaks are on them? What do u suggest? I'm looking into using a rifle scope as well. Looking into a leupy mark 4 4.5-14
Thanks guys a ton!
Old 11-05-2010, 09:24 AM
Silver Member

I'm going to be shooting a lot of paper out as far as I can push it and taking it in the field after whitetails, making it my 'beanfield pistol' as I have several places where I can set and watch several fields at once. But no shots will be over 450 yds or so.
Another question is ( and excuse me if I'm asking too many) how do you guys pack your SPs? I was thinking bout some sort of backpack but I see in that first picture it looks like a sling?
I've also been thinking of the 300 wsm, but I think the 7mm will have a BC advantage n less recoil?
Old 11-05-2010, 10:21 AM
Silver Member

For hunting out west I use a Dragon Fly Eberlestock backpack.
Here in WI I use a custom pack from QuietHide Holsters I have a scabbard with another compartment for gear and a water bladder so I am set. I started with a sling but didn't care for it after hunting with Ernie and his Quiethide pack.
With a pistol I'm not going to be making quick shots so I like having it in the pack out of the weather and I have both hands free to walk through thick brush or climb up or down hills. Plus in WI it is a legal gun case so unload it and I can put it into the jeep and go to another spot.
Dave will make anything you want and he has a bunch of different camo patterns to use.
Also another option, my favorite coyote hunting pistol is the MOA Maximum MOA Corporation Homepage

Good luck and I love the HS grip too!
Old 11-05-2010, 10:38 AM
SPONSOR

I use a sling a lot still, or put in my Blacks Creek pack. Mine is the Canadian model.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:42 AM
SPONSOR

Quote:
I'm going to be shooting a lot of paper out as far as I can push it and taking it in the field after whitetails, making it my 'beanfield pistol' as I have several places where I can set and watch several fields at once. But no shots will be over 450 yds or so.
I've also been thinking of the 300 wsm, but I think the 7mm will have a BC advantage n less recoil?
The 7 will have less recoil and a better BC than the 30.
If you are wanting to see impacts, how about a 6.5-284, 6.5 SAUM or 6.5 Leopard (6.5WSM) shooting 130 grain Bergers?
Easily takes deer at the distances you mention.
How far do you want to push it on paper?
6.5x47 Lapua and the improved version (In essence a 6.5 Long Dasher) would also be a possibility.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:31 PM
Silver Member

I have been thinking of the 6.5 saum as a possibility, and the 6.5x284, how about the length though in the short xp action? I'm wanting to push it to around 700 or maybe a little more. But for any further I will pick up my 300RUM or 338 EDGE.
Where do I look for these packs u guys are talking bout?
Old 11-05-2010, 01:56 PM
SPONSOR

Quote:
I have been thinking of the 6.5 saum as a possibility, and the 6.5x284, how about the length though in the short xp action? I'm wanting to push it to around 700 or maybe a little more. But for any further I will pick up my 300RUM or 338 EDGE.
Where do I look for these packs u guys are talking bout?
I rarely use my Quiethide pack anymore.
I want to if needed, to be able to pack my boned deer or antelope out.
That is why I use the Blacks-Creek pack. (Canadian)
blackscreekguidegear
The SAUM works great in a XP. Even better than the WSM, since it is shorter.
Chuck at Mac's guns has a 6.5 SAUM reamer. I know because he is going to build me one
My 6.5 WSM (18" barrel) runs the 130 Berger right at 3100 fps
My 6.5-284's run the 140 grainers around 2700-2775 fps.
I think the 6.5 SAUM should have about the same MV's as the 6.5WSM