Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Specialty Handgun Hunting

Specialty Handgun Hunting Techniques For Specialty Handgun Hunting

Brown Bear Attack (very Real)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2009, 09:54 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Brown Bear Attack (very Real)

Phorwath, probably don't need to mention this but, get the practice in. Nice writeup and thanks for sharing.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:31 PM
Silver Member

Wow - what an incredible story. I'm glad that he was able to defend himself against that attack.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but since they aren't an endangered species, is he able to keep the bear? Seems like it would be quite the trophy. Maybe it wouldn't be a memory that anyone would want but man what a trophy that is.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:59 PM
Platinum Member

Don't get to keep any part of the animal taken in Defense of Life or Property. Acronym up here is DLP.

With the exceptions that if the hunting season happens to be open, and if the person happens to have a valid hunting license and tag for brown/grizzly bears. Hunting season was not open when this old boar was killed. So the bear gets turned over to the State of Alaska in almost all DLP kills that get reported to State officials - except where hunting season is open and the shooter was properly licensed.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:09 PM
Platinum Member

What does the state of Alaska do with them...some sort of study or cremate it or what?
Old 01-02-2010, 09:26 PM
Platinum Member

Some brown bear hides get sold at auction. The skull and hide are required to be salvaged and turned over to the State with DLP kills. Don't know what they do with the skulls. They'd probably give them to non-profits, museums, university, if they wanted them. They don't give them away to private individuals. It's illegal to sell any part of a bear under Alaska law. Ever. Even if you have the hide tanned and made into rugs, they can not legally be sold by individuals. One of those examples where the law doesn't apply to the State itself. Only the residents of the State. They sell the hides at auction. Guess that's better than completely wasting them.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:16 PM
Platinum Member

phorwath, amazing the stuff I learn here thanks to folks like yourself. Thanks for responding I appreciate it.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:41 PM
Silver Member

A one year old sized black bear hide sold for $350. at the state auction some years back _(3-4 years.)

Brown bear depending on size went from $6000.-$8500. All the large Brown Bear hides sold to a taxidermist from Canada.

Not sure which forum the discussion initiated from. However, if one does not practice with the tool of his choice the tool is pretty much irrelevant. If one can not draw and fire the first round and hit a paper plate every shot at 7 feet in two seconds plan on feeling pain.

I have been in this situation enough times and friends sharing their similar experiences, I have a TWO (2) SECOND rule. Besides the actual physical training, one must know the equipment as second nature. If you have forgotten which holster and which firarm you are carrying that day you may very well not have time to find it. I have only ever been attacked at 30 yards or less. Takes a bear 2 seonds to cross thirty yards.

We here on Kodiak have very limited drawing tags> That has made for wonderful success rates for the guides but it makes for dangerous times.
Last summer we took 3 bear in defense in the city limits. All three were within one block or less of where I live with one of those taken at a school playground 100 yards away. Our first ever road kill bear was killed by a truck 12 miles out of town.

Neal