Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Specialty Handgun Hunting

Specialty Handgun Hunting Techniques For Specialty Handgun Hunting

Best All Around Rest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2007, 07:38 PM
Bronze Member

Best All Around Rest

I would really like to start using my Contender for more hunting situations like coyotes etc. What is a steady, portable, rest that works well for close work say 50 to 100 yards that will also work well for the longer 100+ yard shots? Bi-pod? Or the Stoney Point tri-pod? Or is there such an animal? I have trouble getting stabilized on longer shots. I practice by punching lots of holes in paper and by shooting squirrels and coons with my 17m2 barrel so I get practice at odd angles and such. What are your suggestions? Thanks
Old 03-19-2007, 09:06 PM
Silver Member

Re: Best All Around Rest

Here's a bad pic of what I use.

SO far it's worked out to 248 yds. just past dusk. (glad there was snow)
I put the sling around my neck with tension and rest the Striker in the shooting sticks, very steady. When they got in close at 30 yds I shot offhand, but then again I shoot a lot of silhouettes during the summer and I can't rest my arms against my body and I have to stand too.
The 'seat' is like the stadium seats and sure helps my back and keeps me pretty steady too.
I also much prefer a rifle scope too.
I got my first yote two years ago with my Contender in 6tcu using the same setup.

Mike
Old 03-20-2007, 02:52 PM
Bronze Member

So if I understand you correctly. You're using the sling around your neck to be able to push against the gun while it rests in the sticks? I don't have a sling on my contender grip or fore end. I will look into it. Also, how does the rifle scope work? What do you do about eye releif? Thanks Yotefever.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:33 PM
Silver Member

I put just enough pressure to help stabilize the gun on the sticks. I added a sling swivel to my Contenders very easily. I have one with a loop on it to put around the Contender grip with a swivel on the forend.
I like the lupy's because of the extra eye relief over other cheaper scopes. I don't have a NF yet [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I like having more power and so far no one makes a pistol scope with more than 12x and I do like being closer to the gun, I find it more stable and easier to find my target. To bad you don't live nearby, I'd be happy to take you to my range and let you try some. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-21-2007, 12:46 PM
Bronze Member

You are just a touch past yonder from me. But I appreciate the thought. I just might have to try a rifle scope. It sounds odd to me, but hey I'll try anything once. I'm checking with Boyd about a fore end similar to their carbine (bevertail type) but for the pistol barrels. I would like the longer, flatter, wood for this and it would give me more area for two sling swivels for sling and bipod. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:46 PM
SPONSOR

nocturnalnasty,
I'm a tad closer, but still a drive.
I have both the 3-12 LER's that yote is talking about and the high mag rifle scopes on my SP's.
If you ever make it this way, give me a holler a head of time and we will see if we can shoot awhile.

Several years ago Steve and I did a tactical shoot in Wyoming with our XP's/3-12 Burris LER's. If we do it again I for sure will be using a rifle scope (don't see a full FOV when shooting) on my XP-more FOV, more magnification, better/faster/easier turret system (M1 knobs), and more reticle options.

For the real close stuff a good sized pack, shooting sticks and Harris' 25C bi-pod. The stadium seat really aids in steadying yourself.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:59 AM
Bronze Member

Xphunter I appreciate the info. I think I'm going to try the rifle scope. And I agree about the stadium seat. I just picked up a turkey vest, the best design I've seen with a stadium seat built in for a comfy seat even without anything else to lean against. I think with a little practice using the vest it will improve my field shooting. And I appreciate the offer to come shoot sometime. Don't get out to Kansas often, but I will try to let you know if I do.