Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Specialty Handgun Hunting

Specialty Handgun Hunting Techniques For Specialty Handgun Hunting

Beefing up XP scope base?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2010, 06:48 PM

Beefing up XP scope base?

Reading around (here as well as other places) I have herd talk about adding an extra scope base hole and or opening up the base holes on the XP-100 action. My understanding is that this is done when adding large rifle scopes to this action wich it was never really intended to suport.

My question is, how recessary do you think this is for someone mounting, say a 16oz rifle scope? Is it mostly for recoil or just for banging arround?

I ask because I am having a pistol built right now (should be done fairly soon) and was debating wether or not to have this work added to the bill (granted I dont know how much this service usualy costs yet). The pistol will be a 6.5x284 with a holland muzzle break so recoil shouldn't be to much of an issue, but I do plan on using it on a goat hunt in Alaska either this year or the next so I want it reliable.

Any experiance or recomendations you may have with this would be greatly apprecaited. This is my first bolt action pistol so I'm new to this.

Thanks
Old 11-18-2010, 12:16 AM
Silver Member

Re: Beefing up XP scope base?

Im having a 338AX Xp being built right now. They not only add extra screw but make them bigger. Get it done now recoil and for weight. It will be cheaper now. Ernie Bishop is the one to talk to. He has had a bunch of XPs built and he suggested it to me right off the bat. Iv also got a 6mmx284 being built and base is getting changed also.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:40 AM
SPONSOR

Get it done as bfr suggested-It is worth it.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:43 AM

Thanks for the replys. Looks like Ill have it done then.

One last question. Any recomendations on bases to use? I think the only bases I'v found in picitinyv(thats what Id like) are from EGW. Not that they look bad just wondered what else is out there sinse Ill probably have to give them to the smith when he does this.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:38 AM
SPONSOR

Near Manufacturing is the one I have more than any.
If you contact Richard, tell him, "Hi" for me.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:55 AM
Platinum Member

You can never have to much scope mounting, but you can have not enough.

On small light recoiling cartriges the factory mounting will be fine. But if you have a hard kicking
round and /or hang a heavy scope on it you may have problems. so it is best to go ahead and have bigger and more holes drilled and tapped while it is being built.

I would also recomend a Picatinny rail from Near mfg so if you need to you could install more
than two ring sets. (I have one pistol that I had to install 4 rings to keep it from shearing the
rings from the bases).

Better safe than sorry.

J E CUSTOM
Old 11-18-2010, 09:39 AM
Silver Member

Near bases have a few of all but hard kicking guns have near.