Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Specialty Handgun Hunting

Specialty Handgun Hunting Techniques For Specialty Handgun Hunting

7 wsm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2010, 03:49 PM
Gold Member

Re: 7 wsm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuba View Post
I'd like to see where you found this 'To be a pistol according to the BATF the barrel must be less than 16" and/OR the total length must be less than 26".' I've never heard of there being a maximum length for anything on a pistol???

Most of these discussions are about using rifle actions to make specialty pistols, a weapon manufactured as a pistol is a pistol until the barrel is longer than 16" AND the overall length is 26" or more, once both of those measurements are exceeded the BATF considers the weapon to be a rifle and returning it to a pistol would require a $200.00 fee (Stamp) from the BATF

Dave

ATF Online - Firearms - Guides - Identification of Firearms
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
--Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)
Old 07-12-2010, 04:51 PM
Platinum Member

You need to pay very close attention to what Dave said

Quote:
BUT may or may not be regulated by your state or local Government.
Places like Mass, Cal, Md, DC, Chicago have have weird regs.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:38 AM
Silver Member

!. Being a retired Police Officer pretty much dictates that I know the law and that I do not want to make mistakes as a private individual.

Years ago Jim Briggs of Northland Shooters Supply and myself researched and spoke intently with the legistlative branch of ATF regarding legally making a handgun.

AN action that has not been designated by a manufacturer must and may be designated at the point that one fills out the pretty yellow form. There are three selections on that form. 1. Action Only,2. Long Gun , 3 Handgun. If you check handgun then you can make any length barreled handgun you want and it is not subject to any overall minimums or Maximum lengths period.

Now if you put a shoulder stock on the handgun designated action you have forever more made that into a rifle. Once a rifle action whether you do the paperwork or not, it is always a rifle action. FACT: there is not a form or a fee available period, to convert a rifle action into a pistol action!! Not sure why someone would choose to go this route when one can purchase any number of undesignated actions to build whatever one wants.

The Savage is easily the least expensive and most versatile!

Neal

Last edited by hammertyme; 07-13-2010 at 08:41 AM.