Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Specialty Handgun Hunting

Specialty Handgun Hunting Techniques For Specialty Handgun Hunting

7 wsm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2010, 03:01 PM
Bronze Member

7 wsm

Hey guys, total newbie here when it comes to a specialty handgun. I would like to either build or buy one in a 7 wsm. Was just wondering what my options are ....build on a xp100 or would a guy be able to do something off a savage action, whether it be a short or long action. I do have a left hand long action sitting around and I would be able to load the wsm really long. I am looking at loading the 162 Amax or 180 Berger. Not sure what velocities I would be reaching but will use this for longrange deer and antelope. Thanks a bunch guys!
Old 07-11-2010, 03:50 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7 wsm

The only way that you could legally build a pistol on your Savage action is for that action to have NEVER been a rifle. A raw action has to be designated as a pistol action when the action is bought on the forms. If you build a pistol on an action that has once been a rifle it will be called a sawed off rifle and that is illegal to have unless you have it registered through the BATF as a sawed off rifle and pay the tax etc. The same as owning a machine gun. You can get a raw action and have it designated as a pistol when bought and you will be OK. There are some on this forum that have done this and have some really nice pistols. 7mm WSM would be a good round but you would need a muzzle brake on it. It would be much easier and cheaper to build off a Savage action and change bolt heads etc. for any caliber you want than to use a Rem XP100 action. With the Savage action you can make a switch barrel set up easy. The possibilities are almost unlimited with the Savage action.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:11 PM
Gold Member

I've got one. I love it. with a 17.75" barrel it runs a 168smk @ 2850 fps. Muzzle brake is needed if you plan to use a rifle scope. I used the savage target action, and I have a Neal Cooper and a Joel Russo stock. It shoots unbelivably accuratly and is a cheaper route then a xp100...
Old 07-11-2010, 07:53 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks guys, this forum is going to make me get a second job. Zuba if you can post some closeup pictures I probably am going to go with the savage target action because I can't seem to find anything for sale on gunbroker in the xp. Thanks again!
Old 07-12-2010, 03:00 PM
Gold Member

ANY action that has NEVER been assembled as a rifle can be used for a pistol build. When you purchase a NEW action, Lawton, Stiller, Bat or any of the others, the FFL dealer that does the paper work SHOULD list the item as a reciever, not a rifle or a pistol. Then it is up to you what you do with it. BUT once a rifle ALWAYS a rifle, you can convert a pistol to a rifle but NOT the other way.
To be a pistol according to the BATF the barrel must be less than 16" and/OR the total length must be less than 26".
If the barrel is longer than 16" AND the overall length is 26" or more it is a rifle to the BATF, regardless of the type of stock you put on it.
If you have an XP 100 action with a 16 1/2" barrel and the overall length of 26 1/4" with a pistol stock on it, to the BATF it is a short stocked rifle. Which does NOT require any BATF stamp, BUT may or may not be regulated by your state or local Government.
This is the best explanation I can give from the research I have done.
Dave
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
--Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)
Old 07-12-2010, 03:15 PM
Gold Member

I'd like to see where you found this 'To be a pistol according to the BATF the barrel must be less than 16" and/OR the total length must be less than 26".' I've never heard of there being a maximum length for anything on a pistol???
Old 07-12-2010, 03:32 PM
Gold Member

More reading to add to the confusion.
Dave

Converting Rifles to Handguns
LiveCloud
LiveCloud
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
--Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)