Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Specialty Handgun Hunting

Specialty Handgun Hunting Techniques For Specialty Handgun Hunting

460 smith&wesson

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2013, 07:11 PM
Silver Member

460 smith&wesson

Hey guys,

I'm looking in to getting a revolver for hunting. I have settled on 460s&w for the caliber, just not sure on which barrel length I should go with though. Is there much of a difference in velocity between the 10.5 and the 14'' barrel? For those that have hunted and taken game with one how was its performance on game? I plan one using it on hogs and deer mostly and if the opportunity come up maybe an aoudad or two
Old 06-30-2013, 08:56 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 460 smith&wesson

I handgun hunt deer (here in Michigan) with a Model 27 S&W 44 magnum 8.75" barrel. It has a Japanese Burris handgun scope and a custom made (by me) mount because it's a 2 screw vintage model and I don't want to destroy the value.

It's wicked on deer and woodhogs so long as the distance is 100 yards or less. Over 100 yards, the bullet starts to get wonky.

With any caliber revolver you won't have near the muzzle velocity of a long gun so your distance is limited. One of our hunting group has a braked 500. I prefer the 44 because one, it's lighter and 2, even with the brake, the 500 is a wrist brusier. I imagine the 460 would be as well.

If I had my drutherrs and a large wallet, I'd get a Ruger Blackhawk single action 41 magnum. Much less kick than a 44 or bigger and just as much killing power.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:11 PM
Silver Member

I was also looking at one of S&W's performance centers 44 Magnums with a brake. I'm still weighing my options but I really like the sheer Horse Power of the 460.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:36 PM
Platinum Member

You won't like the weight or the recoil. Not having hefted a 460 versus the 500, I can say the 500 is cumbersome while the 44 is large but still handleable (I think thats a word...lol)

You can't hip holster a 500 (not sure about the 460) but my 44 (with iron sights instead of the scope) is easy to wear in a DeSantis.

Like I said in a previous post, I'd have a .41 (I had one years ago and took a bunch of deer with it but sold it and never got another. You can one hand a .41 for a snap shot. You can't a 44 and I'm pretty sure a 460 is a 2 hander like the 500.

Maybe Clint Eastwood can one hand a 44 but I can't.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:55 PM
Platinum Member

Personally speaking, I don't think you need a brake on a 44, especially if you hand load. Factory loads are usually hot, You can tone down the recoil (and muzzle jump) if you tailor the loads to your spercific application.

My 44 has a quick sharp recoil and jump but it's quite controllable.

I don't even notice it when I shoot at an animal, even if I make a studied shot, but then last year I made a hip shot at a running deer with my 338 Lapua (I was sitting down leaning against a white pine dozing with the Lapua in my lap and a buck came by me, unaware I was there. I had to stand up and I spooked him so I just ripped one off from my hip and missed of course). Damn tail stayed up.......

I never lost control of the gun and I never noticed the recoil either. That was with a 250 Grain SGK with 89 grains of H100, lots more power than any 44 or 460 or 500 would make....

Whatever you decide on, just remember that the long tubed rifle has the range and bullet stabilization that any revolver lacks but you can't jam a revolver or at least I never have.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:22 PM
Gold Member

Ive shot them both. 460 and 500. Don't wasnt your time or money on a 460. If you plan on using your pistol as grizzly defense then ya a 500 is justified but I definitely side with sidecarflip. The 44 mag will kill anything you'll be shooting as dead as dead can get and a 44mag is a lot lighter and easier to carry then a 8 3/8" barrel 500 mag x-frame.. I had a shoulder rig built for mine it makes it a lot easier to pack and after your 15 - 20 miles in the back country it sure is a nice comfort.

... If you haven't shot a x-frame it'd probably be a good idea before you spend the money. My 500 smith with hot load of lil gun below a 440gr gas check cast bullet... You better be holding on even with a brake.

Riley: "Biggest fail of 2014 so far..."
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...72/index4.html
Old 06-30-2013, 10:51 PM
Silver Member

no bears where I'm at so can't justify a 500. 44 mag will be getting a better look.