Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Specialty Handgun Hunting

Specialty Handgun Hunting Techniques For Specialty Handgun Hunting

460 S&W hand loads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2013, 01:18 AM
Gold Member

Re: 460 S&W hand loads

Here is one I found. Other times I have heard this has been from several others reporting the same claims.

The Truth About Lil' Gun...
Old 11-10-2013, 10:20 AM
Platinum Member

Myself, I've observed no issue with LG but then I don't send numerous rounds down the barrel one after another. I load the 44 to carry while hunting. It gets fired ocassionally. Thats it.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:45 AM
Gold Member

I bought a whole pound of it and after I heard from others and read articles on it I'm not going to use it. If used sparingly I cant see it causing any problems and if the loads aren't ran at full speed it shouldn't be bad. I like how it was running lower pressures than some of the top powders with the same or higher velocities. But your light use should save you wear on you handgun.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:02 PM

Hey shooters, thanks for all info on this thread. I have shot about half a pound of the lil gun so far. Loads range from 41-47gr. Hornady 325 XTP ball. I have had no issues with the frame, and forcing cone has no visible erosion or undo wear. However, accuracy with this powder has been less than desirable!!! 44.2 grains produced the best groups of 1 3/4" at 100 yds. The pressure from one round even blew a hole through the primer! Luckily there was no firing pin damage. Long story short......lil gun, 325 XTP are no good in my XVR.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:58 PM
Gold Member

Well, just got back from a short range visit. Got through about 6 loads and noticed my burris 2-7x32 crosshairs were tilted. After looking longer I seen that the scope is still where it was mounted and not shifted or twisted but infact the crosshairs themselves are tilted. Enough that if I were to tilt the whole gun to a 45deg able the crosshairs would be straight again. Really ticked as I wanted to take it out for the gun season and dont look as if I will.