Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Specialty Handgun Hunting

Specialty Handgun Hunting Techniques For Specialty Handgun Hunting

243 SP help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 08:28 AM
Silver Member

243 SP help

hey guys, I'm in need of some guidance

I am borrowing one of my father's Lone Eagle pistols. I picked the best trigger from all of the grips and then mated it to a 243 win barrel with muzzle break.

My quest is to use this for most of my groundhog hunting next spring/summer. I also would like to use the same load to hunt deer. I plan on eventually getting the burris 3-12 handgun scope with ballistiplex to mount on the pistol because right now it has a fixed 2X burris.

My question is what bullet/power would you use for groundhog/ deer combo and would you use shooting sticks or a harris bipod with barrel clamp attachment?

I have killed groundhogs with everything from 22lr subsonics to 264 win mags and know its all about shot placement, so I guess the major consideration for bullets lies with the deer.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:21 PM
Gold Member

Re: 243 SP help

Quote:
Originally Posted by 112Savage View Post
hey guys, I'm in need of some guidance

I am borrowing one of my father's Lone Eagle pistols. I picked the best trigger from all of the grips and then mated it to a 243 win barrel with muzzle break.

My quest is to use this for most of my groundhog hunting next spring/summer. I also would like to use the same load to hunt deer. I plan on eventually getting the burris 3-12 handgun scope with ballistiplex to mount on the pistol because right now it has a fixed 2X burris.

My question is what bullet/power would you use for groundhog/ deer combo and would you use shooting sticks or a harris bipod with barrel clamp attachment?

I have killed groundhogs with everything from 22lr subsonics to 264 win mags and know its all about shot placement, so I guess the major consideration for bullets lies with the deer.

I have a hunting buddy, who this year went to Berger's 87gr Match VDL hunting bullet for deer. He doesn't get very amped up about much, but he raved about the performance of this bullet, this year, in his .243 Win on mule deer.
I've decided too take his advice and start running them through my hunting 6XC for deer as well.
Good luck
Old 11-16-2012, 01:33 AM
SPONSOR

What is the barrel twist?
Barrel length?
Distances you intend to shoot?
Old 11-16-2012, 04:42 PM
Silver Member

barrel is a factory 1:10" 14" long 15.5" with muzzle break
I intend to shoot out to 300yds once I change the scope. Currently I would limit to less than 150yds
Old 11-16-2012, 05:39 PM
SPONSOR

For varmints the 70 or 80 grain NBT's (Varmint)
Deer 90 or 95 grain NBT.
One bullet for both choose whichever of the two 90 or 95 grain shoots the best.
Lean toward the 90 grain for higher impact velocities at your 300 yard max.
Shoot it off of a pack or set it up with the bi-pod.
I like bi-pod best myself.
Since it will be on the barrel develop the load and zero with the bipod on as it may change the harmonics and effect POI.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:05 AM
Silver Member

Thanks,

I had looked at the lighter BT hunting but didn't know if the sierra 85 HPBT would be better for more velocity. I had seen a video on accurate shooter where a gentleman was using a bog gear tripod coupled with a primos twist and lock this looked like just the thing for sitting position specialty pistols.

I was scared of the change in barrel harmonics not being the same shot to shot with the bipod on the barrel.

I'm going to start putting things together for this, thank you for your help.

after looking back, I guess that was you with the Bog Gear setup. How do you like it?
Old 11-17-2012, 12:46 PM
SPONSOR

If it was a doe antelope at 350 yards, then it was me.
I also use the BogGear PSR top in conjunction with their tripod too.
Clamping on to the barrel will change harmonics, but you wont know the outcome until you try it