Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Your reloading process. The long version.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2005, 10:35 PM
Silver Member

Re: Your reloading process. The long version.

You might want to try Die-wax on the outside of the brass and dry neck lube on the inside of the necks if you are going to stay with expander ball set-up. Both products are available from a number of different shooting suppliers. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-25-2005, 12:15 AM
Platinum Member

I will be buying new brass and new dies when I can. I will move to a redding bushing die more than likely. For the time being I will try a dry neck lube for the insides and see what happens.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:21 AM
Silver Member

Just for a point of interest, R.C.B.S. case lube is really STP. The dry neck lube on the inside will make the pull back smoother with less noise. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-25-2005, 08:33 AM
Gold Member

4Ked,
I was actually going for firings.... sometimes my typer is faster than my speller [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Have you tried the Hornady one shot case lube?
For "light duty" stuff like fl sizing dies, there isn't a better lube. Great thing is that you can lay the brass out with all the necks pointing one direction, make one quick pass over the bodys of all the cases, then one pass over the necks. Makes both strokes of the press handle smooth as could be.
I had problems with difficult to chamber 243 brass for a while before I figured out that with no lube on the inside of the neck, the shoulder/neck junction was being pulled forward as the expander ball entered the neck. The only other lube (for cases anyway) on my loading bench is imperial wax for forming wildcats.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:51 AM
Silver Member

abinok,are you talking about the red can or black can one shot? the black can is fantastic stuff!best i ever used on guns. i'll never use the red can again nasty stuff in my experience.i "lubed" my press handle with that and spent the next few hours trying to move it! it dries like superglue!
Old 03-25-2005, 09:17 AM
Gold Member

Yep, black can.
Its marketed as "gun cleaner and dry lube"
Old 03-27-2005, 09:44 PM
Platinum Member

Well guys it has been a few days since we had a response so I would like to thank all that took the time to fill us in on their procedures and use of equipment. I know that more than just myself have learned from it.

If anyone else wants to post their response I will certainly appreciate it. There is no reason this thread of posts should be considered complete. More here is always better.