Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Your opinion wanted....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2005, 09:03 AM
Silver Member

Re: Your opinion wanted....

[ QUOTE ]
The real truth of all this is a great barrel, properly fit in the hands of a shooters that can dance with the wind will cover a lot of sins

[/ QUOTE ]

And, that little pearl of wisdom is why it is so difficult to reach valid conclusions, especially under long range conditions, with it's unique variables. By the time you are on to something, your barrel is toast....and your next barrel shows a lot more sensitivity to the tested component. Harmonics may be set up all different, etc. Just seems real hard to nail down, and how to weight the results? Reading the tea leaves is more art than science.

Good hunting. LB
Old 06-16-2005, 09:57 AM
Gold Member

Just my thinking,but wouldnt the best way to see the effects of the case variation on accuracy at extreme range be to load some known extremely uniform cases against the more ununiform cases and run them through the crono to see the ES between them?
Old 06-16-2005, 10:40 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Ballistic64,

Yes that is the best and only true way to do this.

The problem is that with this wildcat design, it will take a personal investment of roughly $6000 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] to get from where I am now to being able to do what you recommended which I agree is the only GOOD way to see what the result is.

Just wanting to get some opinions before I commit to this level of spending!!!

I am sure you can understand that [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]!!

Doing research on paper can prevent alot of issues and save alot of money with these wildcats, as can sever different sets of experienced eyes looking at the system. I appreciate all the input!

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 06-16-2005, 11:36 AM
Writers Guild

Kirby, my thoughts are that case volume is more critical then a slight misalignment with the neck.

You said that the exterior is match quality ie, the case w/ bullet will line up with the chamber and bore with runout approaching zero. That to me is the most important factor. Any misalignments here WILL throw off your bullet.

Next is case volume. This is a combustion chamber after all. The closer you get to identical volumes the better. If the volumes are within 2%, I would say good to go because...

The biggest variable in internal ballistics is actually the powder. Will it burn consistently enough. I am sure if you put a pressure guage on one case and fired it several times with the same amount of powder, you would get differences in pressure peak and duration. That leads to velocity variations and stringing at longer ranges.

When you get into cases that big, your powder options are limited. Will H50BMG or WCC 872 work???? Will your primers ignite this stuff consistently enough???

I have never worried much about the case as I feel it plays a small part of the accuracy equation. Of course, the case must be within the specs discussed above. Consistency in neck annealing is way more important.

All that powder goes boom in a few milliseconds and expands to many times it volume. That gas rushes out of the neck at 65000PSI and 5500fps. I just don't see it giving a rip if it is a few thou one side or the other. The neck and bore is the real funnel that matters. Since the case volume is the same and the neck/shoulder/boreline is good, the gas will travel the 'same' path.

Then there is that whole bullet barrel thing.

I bet the shape of the stock and how it recoils will play a larger role then anything associated with the case for long range accuracy.

Jerry
Old 06-16-2005, 11:39 AM
Platinum Member

Kirby -- the cases will probably turn themselves into bananas with firing and sizing because the thick and thin parts will react different to the firing/sizing pressure and movement.

If you can keep cases straight with dies that size JUST enough and keep velocities tight, that is all that should matter IMO

JB
Old 06-16-2005, 11:54 AM
Platinum Member

Boring boring boring, you guys keep talking case thickness this and case stretching that.

Lets talk about somthing exciting like this 338 Allen Mag. Kirby is working on. (lucky guess)???

130 grains of powder should really move a 300 smk.

The cats out of the bag, I want details.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:23 PM
Gold Member

The problem is that with this wildcat design, it will take a personal investment of roughly $6000 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Just wanting to get some opinions before I commit to this level of spending!!!

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

[/ QUOTE ]

Aww,come on Kirby,break out some of that moldy money. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]