Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

In your accuracy quest...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2013, 08:23 AM
Platinum Member

Re: In your accuracy quest...

I build rifles for a specific purpose and based on that use, have pacific needs for accuracy.

Each rifle will show you there likes and dislikes, so I like to work on there likes and try not to force them to use anything that they don't like or anything that will not work the best for it's use. (Hunting
bullets for targets and target bullets for hunting.

First I try to get the SD's down to single digits or in the very low teens.

Next I try different seating depths.( some rifles like the bullet very close to the lands and others
like them well away from the lands) I will normally ether load them .020 off the lands or mag length if it is for hunting and work from there.

Now for your question; I look for the best accuracy I can get from a given rifle based on the needs
for it's use. Typically I am never satisfied with more than 1/2 moa and with care and good loading
practices I can normally beat that.

When I have exhausted every trick that I know and I am down to changes of only a few thousandths in group size I will stop trying for any more accuracy as long as it is accurate enough to do it's intended job.

Rifles that have all the right stuff, Good barrels, stocks, bedding, Smithing and good loads will normally shoot under 1/2 moa with little problems and often shoot under 1/10th MOA.

There is nothing like placing the RIGHT bullet In the RIGHT place at the RIGHT distance. so I believe in the most accuracy I can get from a rifle system and don't stop just because its Ok, But because that's all there is available in the rifle.

J E CUSTOM
Old 09-26-2013, 07:15 PM
Platinum Member

Re: In your accuracy quest...

In my factory rifles, I go for .5-.75 MOA. In my custom rifle, if it is not around .3-.4 MOA then it is either me or something that I did wrong in the reloading process.