Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Yikes. What do I do now?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2010, 05:16 PM
Bronze Member

Yikes. What do I do now?

I went out to ladder test today. I was using some RP brass, which I bought as .280 rem, and fired in the rifle to change them to .280AI. They didn't shoot very well. Anyway, I used a neck sizer die only on them, and then reloaded a ladder that was going to go all the way up to 61.5 grains. I started getting case separation signs at about 57.5, and this happened at 58 grains.

Could someone give me the quickload data for this load?
4000 Feet elevation, 70 degrees
.280 Ackley Improved
160 Grain Nosler Accubond
58 Grains Reloader 22
26" Bbl, 1:10 Twist

The only thing that I can think of is that when I fired the Remington factory stuff, nearly all of the primers were lifted out of the primer pockets. I took this as a sign of low pressure, was I wrong? I do not know what to make of this, probably because I am inexperienced. I am a good ways back from the lands. From everything I've read, I should not be getting this much pressure with this load, so I either have a crappy batch of brass or a hot jar of powder- or I have other problems. Any advice?

Ladder test was an epic failure, but the dispersion on the lower end of things was very good and I hope that I am getting enough velocity at around 56.5 grains. I need a chronograph bad.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:16 PM
Silver Member

Re: Yikes. What do I do now?

Wow! 2.5 grains under Nosler's max load for .280 ai, and... that looks scary!
Did you trim your brass after neck sizing? When you fire-form brass from a .280 you have extra headspace this probably stretched the web area. If you didn't trim your brass, your case may have been too long, spiking pressure. A spike like that will find the weekest part of your case.
The shoulder of a .280 case is farther back than a .280 ai causing exta headspace while fire forming. However, the case length of the .280 is longer than that of the ai. Therefore trimming will be necessary.
Hopefully others with more experience than me will chime in. I wouldn't shoot that rifle again until i was sure I figured this one out!
Old 08-30-2010, 07:37 PM
Bronze Member

The twice fired RP brass measures 2.529", which is shorter than the .280AI Nosler brass that is new, that is the only thing I based my OAL on because I don't have a drawing of the .280AI case. It chambers and is shorter than the factory stuff. I have cleaned the gun several times, but carbon ring built up maybe? I didn't have this issue with Berger bullets, only the accubond.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:48 PM
Platinum Member

Did you fire form with the bullet into the lands to keep the case firmly against the bolt face? If not what happens is you end up moving the brass at the case head instead of along the length of the case making a thin spot at the case head.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 08-30-2010, 07:52 PM
Silver Member

My nosler manual has 2.525 as the maximum case length for the 280 ai. They list 60.5 as the max for RL22.
I'm with bigngreen on the the case stretching at the web.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:02 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutslayer2 View Post
I went out to ladder test today. I was using some RP brass, which I bought as .280 rem, and fired in the rifle to change them to .280AI. They didn't shoot very well. Anyway, I used a neck sizer die only on them, and then reloaded a ladder that was going to go all the way up to 61.5 grains. I started getting case separation signs at about 57.5, and this happened at 58 grains.

Could someone give me the quickload data for this load?
4000 Feet elevation, 70 degrees
.280 Ackley Improved
160 Grain Nosler Accubond
58 Grains Reloader 22
26" Bbl, 1:10 Twist

The only thing that I can think of is that when I fired the Remington factory stuff, nearly all of the primers were lifted out of the primer pockets. I took this as a sign of low pressure, was I wrong? I do not know what to make of this, probably because I am inexperienced. I am a good ways back from the lands. From everything I've read, I should not be getting this much pressure with this load, so I either have a crappy batch of brass or a hot jar of powder- or I have other problems. Any advice?

Ladder test was an epic failure, but the dispersion on the lower end of things was very good and I hope that I am getting enough velocity at around 56.5 grains. I need a chronograph bad.
How hard was it to open the bolt on the rifle and was the case hard to extract? Your chamber might be a little on the large side and that could be the cause of the primer problems you saw with the factory ammo. If it was me in your situation I would try to get some nosler 280ai brass and start working up again watching my primers closely. If you can't get the nosler brass and you have to fire form Rem brass pick up some cheaper cup and core bullets that are long enough to allow you to put the bullet into the lands and use a starting load for the 280 Rem with one of the medium burn rate powders you should be able to find data for the 4895's 4064 and perhaps some others. When loaded you should have some resistance to chamber the loaded round. I would measure any fired cases and compare my measurements to the measurements of the 280AI. If there is a large difference in your fired brass versus the accepted measurements for the AI with the 40 degree shoulder I would have a chamber cast done just to see exactly what is going on the the chamber dimentions.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:16 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
Did you fire form with the bullet into the lands to keep the case firmly against the bolt face? If not what happens is you end up moving the brass at the case head instead of along the length of the case making a thin spot at the case head.
Crap! I didn't know I was supposed to do that. I have 40 pieces of Nosler brass which I bought loaded .280Ai. They don't have any brass right now due to fire. To get the RP brass I just bought boxes of Corelokt and have been shooting them up to get brass to work with- so all that brass is now worthless? Upon closer inspection, every single piece, even the super-low charges have some sign of not being right, from a faint mark to a raised line, to the worst one in the picture.

None of them were difficult to extract. Thanks for the help. Next time- into the lands I guess. I was thinking it was caused by a very tight chamber, but I was wondering just how the primers could have lifted if that were the case.