Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

XLC or TSX?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2007, 11:24 PM

Re: XLC or TSX?

PS, ty to jw, gus, and db for the replies.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:08 AM
Bronze Member

Kodiak, Which X bullet did you use in your .264? I liked using the 120 XLC's in mine... great velocity and they were as accurate as any other bullet I tried. When I tried the 120 TSX I had to back way down in powder due to too much pressure. I'm now having it rebarreled to a 28" Broughton 5C and am anxious to start over on new loads. The new 130 Accubond will be fun to experiment with. For distance I like both the 142 SMK's and the 138 silver scenars...
Old 04-15-2007, 08:57 AM

Bullseye,
My bullet that I used for years was the 140 X bullet flat base. Loved it. But this last fall I was forced to switch to the 130gr flat base due to availability issues of the 140's. We did use the last of the 140's to hammer one moose and one elk this last fall, the moose went down at the shot after my partner missed him 4 times with an '06 (talk about eratic accuracy) at 275 yards. Quartering in at 278 yards, 4 feet of penetration, neck, shoulder, and spine all decimated with a bullet hole you could poke a pool cue through. That's the main reason I use X bullets. I like knowing that regardless of the angle, regardless of which way a big critter is pointing, I can slip a bullet into his lungs. Even if it means breaking his skull, his shoulder socket, his hip, whatever is in the way, first. Although, the speeeeeed of the 130's was pretty cool I must say. I didn't receive full penetration from the 130 on the whitetail I shot last fall, however, that bullet was still doing in the neighborhood of 3000fps+ when it hit him in the chest, and we recovered that one in his back leg, under the skin. So I guess 5 feet of penetration is okay at close range. Better than finding fragments in his liver from a lead core plastic tip bullet any day!
Old 04-15-2007, 01:48 PM
Gold Member

The XLC is off & on depending on bore size & how it "fits" the rifle. It reduced fouling & pressure but was a stepping stone to the TSX. XLC are being phased out with the TSX and MRX coming on line. Like the flat bases, you better store up a supply if they shoot well and you want to keep using them. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 04-15-2007, 02:38 PM

Storing up a supply is easier said than done....Any time I find a box, I buy them, and I haven't seen a box of them for a while...Hence the step up to a .30 cal rifle...Everybody starts out a new bullet in 30 cal, and they keep making them in 30 cal for a while longer than anything else....
Old 04-15-2007, 03:02 PM
Gold Member

Using a 180 TSX in a 30-378 Wby @ a bit under 3400 fps, took a bull last fall at 35 yds. In 05 took a bull abit over 700 yds. Also two other bulls, cow and a mule deer over 500 yds. As usual no complaints with the TSX.
Now the XLC is another story, could never make em shoot. As I'm increasing my effect yardage I'm taking another look at the AB, also playing with Wildcat bullets.
TSX or AB, use whichever your rifle prefers.

Phil
I like cats
Gophers too !!
Old 04-15-2007, 04:06 PM
Bronze Member

I'll admit that I've the TSX actually shoot well. They do drop'em in there tracks. But, for less $$$ I get Nosler AB's that shoot lights out and drop them just as quick.