Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

XLC or TSX?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2007, 11:34 AM

XLC or TSX?

Okay, next question, XLC or TSX? I'm thinking where I hunt mostly there is a lot of moisture, and perhaps the TSX isn't going to give adequate moisture protection. Anyone experienced any problems like that? (It rains and snows alot here). I'm not hugely worried about any possible velocity gains or losses between the 2 bullet styles out of the Ultra Mag, although I am starting to look a little more closely at the 180's as opposed to the 168gr bullets now.

DAve
Old 04-14-2007, 01:22 PM
Gold Member

Re: XLC or TSX?

TSX 200gr in .30 and 225gr in .338 are accurate, do not fragment and consistantly open like a flower. I like them. Would assume other weights and caliber do the same. I moly coat them and drive them very fast with no problems. Never shot the XLC but believe they would preform well too. Try both.
db
Old 04-14-2007, 08:12 PM
Bronze Member

XLC's are crap. Shoot pi$$ poor. TSX are supposed to be better, but I could care less. Accubond drop'em as fast and have way better BC's and are super accurate. Why would anyone use barnes?
Old 04-14-2007, 08:50 PM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
XLC's are crap. Shoot pi$$ poor. TSX are supposed to be better, but I could care less. Accubond drop'em as fast and have way better BC's and are super accurate. Why would anyone use barnes?

[/ QUOTE ]
When I read this the first time I thought it was a bit too abrasive, when I read it the second time yes it is a bit rough but I have to agree.
UB
Old 04-14-2007, 09:19 PM
Platinum Member

I have no experience with the XLC's. I have shot the 180 TXS quite a bit. My 300 win shoots them in the .3 moa cosistently Every animal shot with the TXS have been impressive with my longest 777 yards was DRT I have had a positive experience with the TXS in 300 win, 338 Win,30/06
Old 04-14-2007, 09:52 PM
Silver Member

I've used the XLC in Africa while doing some plains game, of course performance was "X", as expected. One shot, one kill...boring

Later I decided to switch to the TSX since accuracy with the XLC was very erratic. On the other hand, the TSX is a performer.

LoadBaseŠ Desktop & Mobile editions - the ballistics/reloading software solution
http://www.patagoniaballistics.com
Old 04-14-2007, 11:23 PM

Interesting. If I wanted to be insulted by people who don't like my bullet choice I would of asked for insults. I'm feeling charitable tonight, so I'll let that go.

I myself have heard about erratic accuracy with the XLC's, and XFB also (which have been my bullet of choice till now) but have never experienced it first hand. My .264 is a sub MOA rifle at 100 yards with the X bullet, and its a sub moa rifle at 400 yards, so to me that is adequate for 100% of the killing I do. And so far, everything I've pointed it at has been DRT, one shot. The only thing I'm curious about is close range blood shot meat damage at extreme velocity.
So, anyone have any input?