Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Would love some help developing my Elk load.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2014, 06:05 PM

Re: Would love some help developing my Elk load.

The color of my rifle didn't affect the shot? G-ddamit!

Yes, I'm measuring the inputs.

Thanks for all the info/advice. Plenty to think about and try- it's very much appreciated. Off to buy a bunch of different bullets...
Old 04-06-2014, 01:22 PM
Platinum Member

Learn to stalk in closer..!
Old 04-06-2014, 02:04 PM
Gold Member

Generally speaking, if you are primarily going to hunt elk, I would recommend shooting a heavier bullet in the 180 - 210 range. Elk are big critters and shooting them a long ways off needs a bullet that still retains energy at lower velocities.

Here are my thoughts to your 3 questions at the end of your 1st post:
1.) lighter vs heavier bullets: It sounds like you have a very nice rifle. I would guess that you will be able to shoot any weight bullet with accuracy, although, some rifles do prefer one weight over any other. Your trajectory will be flatter with the lighter/faster bullet, but you will have larger wind drift. Likewise, the heavier/slower (higher b.c.) bullet will drift less with the wind, but will have a more curved trajectory. The thought is that using a rangefinder is very accurate, while reading the wind is not an exact science. More error comes from wind drift than trajectory... that's why so many people like shooting high b.c. bullets.

2.) powder burn rate: I try and find a powder that comes as close to 100% case capacity for a particular bullet and seating combination. I think others here with extensive experience with the 30-06 will be able to give you some of the go-to powders for this cartridge.

3.) There are lots of guys here who have posted quite a bit about high VLD bullets for hunting, and have had great success out to very long range. Definitely not hype, but the hunting specific performance of any bullet is a hot topic ... VLD long range bullets can have a reputation to explode at closer ranges, while the more durable bullets (barnes, partition, accubond) often times do not have the desired expansion at longer distances or below 1800 fps. You may find that it is very hard right now to find anything in stock (powder/bullets/primers). You may have to play the waiting game to find any particular bullet/powder, so you are on the right track by asking around here to see what the most popular long range bullet/powder combo is for the 30-06.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:29 PM
Platinum Member

Stake
Try not to take this the wrong way, but if you had only practiced to 620 yards, the length of your local range, you really had no business taking a shot at an animal at over 800+ yards.
If you are wanting to shot long range, go with the Berger's. Verify your drops at the distances you plan to hunt. I have in the past went out west a day early to verify my dope. A good range finder is a must. I used the G7 BR2 Last year to take a mule deer at 841yards, and the dope it gave me was spot on.
Can't help you much for load data and the 30-06, as I don't shot one.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue View Post
Stake
Try not to take this the wrong way, but if you had only practiced to 620 yards, the length of your local range, you really had no business taking a shot at an animal at over 800+ yards.
Agree. It's a mistake I won't make again.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:37 PM
Platinum Member

The best way to learn is to get hooked up with another forum member than has solid long range experience, if were to fill out at least the state your in on your profile you'd be amazed how many guys are willing to give you some help!!

I applaud you for recognizing a change is needed and your getting help, I'll bet the next bull that stands there will be in serious trouble!!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 04-07-2014, 07:07 PM
Platinum Member

Stake
You live in a great state for longrangehunting hunters.
I am sure you can find someone with experience to go shooting with.
It is even tougher for us flat landers to learn the game.