Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Working up a load for moose hunt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2013, 12:57 PM
Silver Member

Re: Working up a load for moose hunt

Hi, just shot a moose with a 210 target VLD at 788m. See thread in long range hunting "Moose Down". All load details as well as recovered bullet pics are there. Am switching from H4831 with 210 target VLDs to Retumbo and 215 hybrids for my next yrs hunt as there was no expansion on vitals shot at 1750 fps impact vel. Hope that helps.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrubbit View Post
Hi, just shot a moose with a 210 target VLD at 788m. See thread in long range hunting "Moose Down". All load details as well as recovered bullet pics are there. Am switching from H4831 with 210 target VLDs to Retumbo and 215 hybrids for my next yrs hunt as there was no expansion on vitals shot at 1750 fps impact vel. Hope that helps.

Good info. Aren't you shooting the 300 win mag? If so I would consider H-1000 as well. I am at 3035 MV with the 215's from a 28" at 4100 ft. asl.

Jeff
Old 10-13-2013, 02:31 PM
Silver Member

I use the 300 Win Mag and Win 780 with a 180 grain Accubond
WW brass with WLRM primer excellent moose load
Old 10-14-2013, 04:27 PM
Banned

I am not impressed with Berger unless you are shooting extreme distances and I can't see any reason to do that on moose. Personally, I would stick with AB, NP, or Barnes for a definitive performance level. Fortunately, moose are not that tough to kill if you keep it in the lungs, so Bergers may be OK. My personal choice would be a NP for performance at all distances.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:11 PM
Platinum Member

You should call Berger and ask them what bullet you should use for moose. Then report back and let us know how it goes.

Hopefully someone here that has experience on what Berger to use at what impact velocity is ok for moose will give you the needed info before you go out and experiment. You owe it to the moose to know for sure.

Steve
Old 10-14-2013, 07:53 PM
Gold Member

I felt pretty comfortable with this load until these responses. Over the past few years I have been posting, reading, listening and watching for people's responses and experiences from this site. People are taking elk at close to extended ranges with berger 140's up too 300 grains! A lot taken with the 210 Bergers. This load is so far very accurate and from what I've seen can be very deadly. I normally like the accubond a but this year and with a new gun I'm trying these. I'm not sure why people will willing use a berger at pretty much any velocity from 6.5mm's to 338's on elk but not a moose? Am I missing something?
Old 10-14-2013, 08:06 PM
Platinum Member

For what it is worth I am not willing to use them on anything big game. I try to follow these Berger threads to see what is said and it is hard for me to say for sure what is ok and what is not. I am not trying to start an argument here, I really do not know what is ok.

I do think that a call to Berger is the best thing you can do. I for one would like to hear what they had to say. Then tell us how your hunt went compared to what they said.

Steve