Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

working up a hot load question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2013, 09:24 PM

working up a hot load question

Ok I have a 300 weatherby with a 24 inch barrel, the manual says max load is 84.5 for the bullet and weight I have chosen, I want to see how much more I can go above before the bolt gets sticks, or the primers flatten out. So starting at the low end load what grain increments sould I keep increasing it by until the sticky bolt. Thanks.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:39 AM
Platinum Member

Re: working up a hot load question

Once you get to a sticky bolt you are already WAY OVER PRESSURE. My suggestion is that you stick with loads between the start and max suggested by the powder and bullet company that you are using and search for accuracy. Another 25 to 50 fps will not really help you any but the pressure that it takes to get that can harm you and your weapon. It will shorten your case life greatly also. The 300 WM is already running on the ragged edge with max loads.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:07 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT2506 View Post
Once you get to a sticky bolt you are already WAY OVER PRESSURE. My suggestion is that you stick with loads between the start and max suggested by the powder and bullet company that you are using and search for accuracy. Another 25 to 50 fps will not really help you any but the pressure that it takes to get that can harm you and your weapon. It will shorten your case life greatly also. The 300 WM is already running on the ragged edge with max loads.
+1
If you need extra speed don't try to beat up your weapon, but get a bigger caliber. You'd have to go to 300 rum or 30-378 if you are already on the 30 roy.
I've strain gauged my old stw at 75Kpsi and the bolt wasn't even sticky yet. You are talking 80kpsi + peak to start getting sticky with most actions. I'm not going there and I wouldn't go there either if I were you.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:52 AM
Platinum Member

If you need more speed and power than a .300 Wby, you should jump up to the .30-378 Wby.

But I can't imagine on N. America what would be so difficult to kill that a .300 Wby can't cut it...

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:47 AM
Platinum Member

"I want to see how much more I can go above before the bolt gets sticks, or the primers flatten out."

No offense intended but anyone asking such a question is far too inexperienced to be trying that. For one thing, primers are very poor indicators of anything useful and if you don't know that you don't even have way to start pushing the envelop, even if there were any value in doing so.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:04 PM
Gold Member

youve been given good advice. Now take it.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtube View Post
"I want to see how much more I can go above before the bolt gets sticks, or the primers flatten out."

No offense intended but anyone asking such a question is far too inexperienced to be trying that. For one thing, primers are very poor indicators of anything useful and if you don't know that you don't even have way to start pushing the envelop, even if there were any value in doing so.
Would you please tell me some other pressure indacators then.