Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

working a load, adjusting COAL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2014, 01:26 PM
Gold Member

working a load, adjusting COAL

Hey all. I have been working a load for my 3006. Right now I have been loading bullets .050 off the lands. I shot 4 loads (different powder charges same bullet seating depth). 2 of which shot OK (~1MOA) for what I am looking for. Next I will be taking the higher charge of the two good loads and try messing with the bullet depth. How small should my adjustments be. Again now my group is right at about 1MOA. I dont really require much better than this but want to see if this rifle can do better. So do I try say .055 and .045 off lands next...or do I try .060 and .040 next? What increments do you suggest. Again this is not a load for distances further than 400 yards nor is it a load for competition. This is a light weight backpack rifle I would like to simply try and improve on the load a bit. Thanks for any advice.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:45 PM
Silver Member

Re: working a load, adjusting COAL

.020-.030 is normally what I do in steps once I find the OCW.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:48 PM
Gold Member

Hey Big E... You'll probably find that you are going to get a lot of different opinions on this one. One of the main factors which will influence the answers will have to do with the bullet you are using. I just started loading VLDs and the recommendation was to do seating depth... And then powder charges. Seating depths I used were .020, .040, .080, & .120. I found that both .040 & .080 gave me good results, and since I plan to use these rounds in the field, I opted for .080 so that I would have more bearing surface contact.

I personally would try a few seating depths (based off others recommendations for your particular bullet)... Pick your best.... And then tweak your powder charges for that depth. You might be surprised with your results.

Post your bullet as others may be able to speak directly to their experiences with it.

Good luck!

Boss
Old 07-30-2014, 03:53 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboscobuys View Post
Hey Big E... You'll probably find that you are going to get a lot of different opinions on this one. One of the main factors which will influence the answers will have to do with the bullet you are using. I just started loading VLDs and the recommendation was to do seating depth... And then powder charges. Seating depths I used were .020, .040, .080, & .120. I found that both .040 & .080 gave me good results, and since I plan to use these rounds in the field, I opted for .080 so that I would have more bearing surface contact.

I personally would try a few seating depths (based off others recommendations for your particular bullet)... Pick your best.... And then tweak your powder charges for that depth. You might be surprised with your results.

Post your bullet as others may be able to speak directly to their experiences with it.

Good luck!

Boss
How does .080 jump lead to more bearing surface contact? We can only assume that you mean contact with the neck, but that means nothing for accuracy.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:56 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

Good luck!

Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azprc View Post
How does .080 jump lead to more bearing surface contact? We can only assume that you mean contact with the neck, but that means nothing for accuracy.
I should have clarified, it means nothing for accuracy unless you have very little contact with the neck. Highly unlikely in an 06.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:07 PM
Gold Member

Correct... More bearing surface contacts the neck which does nothing for accuracy, but I find that more bearing surface of the bullet held in place by the neck tends to hold the bullet in place better when being rattled around out in the field. And .080 is giving me fine accuracy... .040 as well... So I pursued .080. If it weren't for my heart beating like a drum on my last shot... my last test with .080 would have been pretty respectable for 200 yds.

working a load, adjusting COAL-image.jpg
Old 07-30-2014, 04:10 PM
Gold Member

Quote:

Good luck!

Boss
The bullet I am using is a Barnes ttsx 168 grain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azprc View Post
I should have clarified, it means nothing for accuracy unless you have very little contact with the neck. Highly unlikely in an 06.
Not sure what any of this means but this rifle will be carried in the field...so if you guys mean the bullet staying seated properly (the deeper the seating the more surface of bullet touching neck) then that might mean a lot for me? These bullets have the weird ring grooves on the sides which allows for even less contact with the case neck. To be exact my bullets at the moment are seated just up to the second groove so if you look at a picture of the bullet you will see that not much of the bullet is seated. If you dont include the boattail (only include the surface of the bullet that will touch case neck) id say about .3inches of bullet is touching the case neck