Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Worked up my first 300RUM load

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2008, 09:54 PM
Bronze Member

Worked up my first 300RUM load

Let me start off by saying I am very new to this game. I have been reloading now for a few months and have maybe loaded 100 rounds.

300 RUM
Rem 700 Sendero SFII
Shilen Trigger
Glass Bedded action
DE Brake
Berger 210g VLDs
Retumbo

Started with 87g worked up to 90.5g in .5g increments.

This was my first time really doing it right and I definitely learned a few things!

87 and 87.5 shot fairly well about a 1" group.

88 was all over the place same with 88.5g

89 tightened up and 89.5 was better. 90g was a tad better and finally on my last group of 4 with 90.5 I was able to do this:

This is taken with my cell phone, but it's my best group so far. In the plywood behind the paper there was one large hole.

A few more things I learned....as the sun goes down...it is nice to have a hat. Thankfully, I did. Unfortunately, before I shot I did not cover my left ear with my ear protection. It is still ringing now =(

Secondly, I shot one of the legs off of my chrono about mid way through my second group =(
Old 08-08-2008, 07:12 AM
Platinum Member

Looks pretty good. What are you working up the load for? Hunting? ...

I always mount my targets on cardboard before I leave home, then it's easy to mount them to the backer board, and the holes end up nice and round.

keep at it.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 08-08-2008, 10:37 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMach View Post
Secondly, I shot one of the legs off of my chrono about mid way through my second group =(

LMAO!!!!! Hey Mighty don't worry man not laughing at you but with you buddy as I been down that road once or twice myself and that statement u made just brought back some hilarious memories. Thanks!!!

BTW, very nice group!

Good shooting,

Dave
Old 08-08-2008, 02:28 PM
Silver Member

sub inch at 200 yards

My step son got several sub inch groups out of his 300RUM two weeks ago. 180 grain Barnes TSX bullets on top of 100 gr of Retumbo + just about everthing I can do to a piece of brass.
Neck sizing only, neck turning, Primer pocket uniforming, flash hole deburring and case trimming. Damn that gun KICKS.

You've got an excellent group there, I think the Elk are in BIG TROUBLE...
Old 08-09-2008, 04:57 AM
Bronze Member

AJ...Thanks for advice, I'll do that next week once I get back out seeking to improve on this (velocities and even group).

Wild Cat....I appreciate the words of encouragement! I've just got to make sure I can keep that up. Practice makes perfect, so I am going to try and get out a few times a week so I can keep getting better. I think the rifle is a lot more accurate than I am though. Like I said, this was my first load I have worked up and I am VERY new to this. I was amazed how different charges danced around so much and then this one looked like this!

Robbin...again, I appreciate the words. The elk are in no trouble here. I still need to shoot my first deer =( I have done a lot for a 25 year old in Kalifornia shooting pigs...but no deer yet. Hell, this rifle does not even have blood on it from me yet! As far as the gun kicking...the DE brake really took care of that. I am a pretty big kid but after about 15 rounds I started to jump around. As far as hunting I probably would have been alright, but I want to enjoy it and shoot it more than that. Only thing....make sure your hearing protection is on....every shot. My left ear is still not normal and I think it may really be messed up =(
Old 08-11-2008, 06:45 PM
Silver Member

Re: Worked up my first 300RUM load

We haven't gotten a brake on his gun for that very reason. You don't hunt with ear protection on! I forgot mine and it hurts to shoot one round without a break. We'll be doing final testing on loads in a couple of weeks. I'll let you know how it goes. If you are going to deer hunt with it, I would use 150 grain bullets or less. 210 is for BEAR! My step son elk hunts with 180 Barnes TSX. Good luck!
Old 08-11-2008, 07:01 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Worked up my first 300RUM load

I think you should use a bullet that works well for you. My experience is that the smaller animals don't need a smaller bullet to make them dead. Load to the biggest animal you could possibly shoot, and shoot everything w/ it. When you decide you want to shoot smaller bullets at deer or goats, get another rifle that works better with the smaller bullets. That way you get to get more rifles.

Nice shooting, looks good. Hopefully your chrono is OK, and you only need a new leg.

Steve