Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Woohoo, I earned my stupid badge today...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2011, 10:33 PM

Re: Woohoo, I earned my stupid badge today...

sorry about your day !! but then again at 13* im NOT gonna go out in my garage to do anything, unless its to get in a car. nope sorry not happning...the only time the cold doesnt kick my a%% is when im hunting. other than that this southern boy is stayin where its warm
Old 12-19-2011, 11:00 PM
Gold Member

I will never complain about my 48 degree loading room again. Are you guys nuts? 13 degrees? That is Vodka drinking weather. Ok I stuck a 300 Weatherby when I was given some stupid nickle brass but it was like 82 degrees. Remindes me I need to order a new Redding stuck case kit, just in case. My advise stay inside for goodness sake!
Old 12-19-2011, 11:07 PM
Silver Member

Ohhh stupid badge stories huh? I have my share of those!

First one that comes to mind:

I was taking the heads off an old Chevy C-10 that I had once so that I could put a new cam in it, and head gaskets on it. It was winter then too. No garage, so I'm out in the cold. Well all seemed to be going well until I got to one that was seized. I didn't have sh^t for tools, just the basics, so I couldn't really heat it up. So what does a redneck mechanic do when he doesn't have proper tools? He gets a longer pipe! So here I go.....I put the pipe on the ratchet and realized that the angle is all wrong. So I climb up on the bumper.....still wrong. So I climb into the engine compartment and get my feet planted. I PUSHED on the pipe a couple of times and no go. So then I earned my stupid badge by getting pissed and reeeeeeally pushing on it. And that, my friends, is where I learned what a bug feels like when he splatters allover the windshield! The socket slipped and I hit the windshield so hard that I literally just rolled off of it and fell on the rocks in the driveway. That was stupid.

Story number two:

The very first stock that I ever bedded was a lesson in getting the right supplies on hand BEFORE starting. I prepped the stock, checked everything over, then started looking around for a "release agent". Yeah, that pretty-much tells the story right there...lol. I tried......get this.....vegetable oil. Needless to say, it didn't work. Fortunately I had the thought about 30 minutes later to make sure I could still get the barreled action out of the stock. I thought "if nothing else, I'll screw up the bedding, but at least I'll know that the vege oil worked. Well........ little did I know, but had I waited another 15 minutes or so, I would have had a total glue in. It took A LOT of pressure, wiggling, praying, hoping,and prying to get that thing out. Stupid badge number 129 EARNED!...lol
Old 12-20-2011, 12:43 AM
Gold Member

I'm pretty sure I'm in the triple digits too.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:45 AM
Silver Member

I did the exact same thing except I was ruining Lapua 6.5-.284 cases trying to neck them to 6MM. I pulled the rim off the 4th. case trying to get it back out of the die. I sure will be glad to get my new loading bench up and running, INSIDE!

Bob
Old 12-20-2011, 10:07 AM
Gold Member

13* and you're RELOADING? LOL. My reloading room doesn't get below 40 or so most of the time, and I usually complain how cold it is in the winter lol. I've earned my share of stupid badges, although I've never had to use a stuck case remover (whoops, probably just jinxed myself, better buy one ahead of time lol). The last time I got a stupid badge was reloading...

So I prepped all my cases and primed them, then decided to put the powder in my scale (I have a RCBS Chargemaster Combo) and go get my reloading manual (which of course was in my room and not on the bench). Well, I opened the powder and up-ended it in my scale hopper, and since I was thinking about the reloading manual (my reflexes were slowed down, good excuse huh?) I didn't close the powder drain until about half the pound of powder was on my bench . The last time I used the scale and drained the powder, I didn't close the drain... You can bet I pay extra close attention now when I'm done lol.

This wasn't my first badge, and hate to say it..., but it sure won't be my last .
Old 12-20-2011, 10:10 AM
Platinum Member

I have yet to stick a case in a die but I have thought about buying a removal tool just in case.... as far as the stupidest thing I have done at my reloading bench.... I forgot to put powder in a couple 22-250 shells one time, luckily they didnt leave the case and get stuck in my barrel. I know there have been others but none that come to mind at the moment. I do hate when I ruin brass though. I have to have a full box of brass/ammo partial boxes drive me nuts so when i loose or ruin some it bugs me to no end. I usually have extras but not always.

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad