Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Wondering how important die selection is?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2014, 08:15 PM

Wondering how important die selection is?

Hey guys,

I just bought a 300RUM built by Fierce arms. This will be my first long range rig I hope. What I'm wondering about is how necessary is extremely good dies? The guy who works for gun works seems to think I should be using the Redding Type S - Match Bushing Full Die Set, Redding Titanium Nitride Neck Sizing Bushings, Redding Titanium Nitride Neck Sizing Bushings, Redding Competition Shellholder Sets - 6.

At this point I have only ever used RCBS FL resizing and seating stuff.

2 of my other buddies say not to spend that sort of money on these expensive dies as its not that much of a difference.

Can you give me your opinions? Which dies would be good enough. This is not for competition shooting, its for hunting out to 750 yards, and blasting rocks at 1000 maybe.

Cheers, Dave
Old 04-04-2014, 09:23 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Wondering how important die selection is?

When I started reloading 23 years ago I was told the same thing. I did not need to spend money on expensive dies. I have since changed my mind. I have an AR I use for target shooting out to 600 yards. When I built the rifle I used the dies I had on hand, a set of RCBS. I was trying to get maximum accuracy from my AR and I was struggling to achieve consistent groups. I was talking with a more experienced shooter and he told me to get a set of precision dies. I was told to use what brand I felt comfortable with, just make sure they are target/competition dies. I bought a set of Redding competition dies and my groups actually shrank and became more consistent. Understand, the dies did not solve all my issues. They did make a difference though when it comes to long range shooting precision is needed.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:19 AM
Silver Member

Re: Wondering how important die selection is?

I was using standard dies for all of my cartridges, now I use bushing dies on some, neck sizing on others and a full length re-size on others. As far as seating goes I prefer the micrometer seating dies. I think most brands are good to go. Just remember that some dies are designed for specific purposes, much like rifles. A generic 308 will give generic results, custom 308 will give specific results. a 308 built for CQB is going to be allot different than a 308 built for long range accuracy, just as a standard hunting 308 will be different than the before mentioned, and as with rifles some prefer Redding over RCBS and some Forster over Hornady. I have some RCBS and some Lyman, Forster and others and with proper care they all get the job done. But depending on what you want some make life allot easier.

my preference for my bolt guns are a consistent neck tension, proper shoulder bump, and proper bullet seating.