Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

WLRM Primers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2013, 10:31 AM
Silver Member

WLRM Primers

I've given up on trying to get my hands on anymore Fed GM215 primers. I'm down to my last 200 primers. I use them in several different loads and calibers and realize there ain't enough to go around. I also recently spoke with a friend in Minnesota who said he talked to a Fed rep who advised it'll probably be latter 2014 before anymore of those primers make it to the public. As such, I went ahead and picked up a 1000 Winchester mag large rifle primers. I've never reloaded these primers before. Does anyone have any opinions. I'm trying to decide which calibers will get the Winchesters and which "one" I'll save the Federals for...

Old 09-03-2013, 11:17 AM
Gold Member

Re: WLRM Primers

I'm working up some loads now and did a primer test with Fed GM 215-M, CCI 250's, Win WLRM and Rem 9-1/2M's. The Winchester's printed best @ 200 yds. Just try them both and you'll know which is best.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:29 AM
Bronze Member

I use nothing but CCI and Winchester primers when at all possible. I'm sure you will have no problems with WLRM primers and like said above, just work up your loads again like we always do when we change a component.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:22 PM
Platinum Member

Haven't seen hide nor hair of a Fed primer for months here. I've got enough for a good spell, but there are many in your boat. Good luck to you. Win primers are the second cleanest after Fed. ( cci were the worst) in the brissance testing we did a few years back.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:30 PM

I'm in MN was out and about this weekend all the places i stopped at had Fed primers in stock.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:11 PM
Gold Member

I use nothing but Win primmers in all my loads and have had zero problems
Old 09-10-2013, 07:38 AM
Gold Member

every load will do its best with a different primer. take a load that did the best with a fed match mag and increase or decrease the powder charge by a grain and a ww or cci primer might then do better. I do though prefer the fed match mag for my mag rifles. Its my go to primer for them and i too sure wish more would come available. Im down to about 500 of them and i about treat them like gold.