Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Winchester vs. Remington Brass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2008, 05:26 PM
Platinum Member

what James Jones said!

About Remington Cases:

Trueblue, I bet if you put your fairly hot Remington Case load in a Winchester Case you'll find that its not nearly as "hot".

Winchester cases are several grains lighter thus several grains more powder capacity. Thus you can milk more velocity out of the Winnie cases than the Remmy cases.

Even with top end loads in a 270 Win (140 gr bullet at 3200) winchester cases last for greater than 15 reloads with no annealing or anything else. Accuracy between the two pieces of brass is about equal. I can just get more velocity out of the Winnie brass.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:57 PM
Platinum Member

Roy and JD have it right. If I cant find lapua I go with Winchester. Other than the amount of case prep work there is nothing wrong with win brass.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:10 PM
Gold Member

Lots of great info! Roy, how did you get that kind of velocity out of a 270 Win? I remember reading another one of your posts about this, that's great velocity in that caliber.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:21 PM
Silver Member

I know the first batch of Winchester 270 WSM brass I used I got about 5 reloadings before the primer pockets opened up enough that I decided to scrap them. These were below max loads but this could have just been a soft batch of brass. I'm trying Rem. brass this time to see if it lasts any longer. I usually go with Winchester brass when possible. The Lapua brass is nice and that what I shoot in my 6.5-284 but the price may make me go back to Winchester.
As far as Norma be able to take more pressure, in my experience this has been just the opposite. I started with 40 cases each of Norma, Lapua, and Winchester when I started loading for my 6.5-284. Case capacities where very close although I don't remember the exact numbers. Velocities and ES's were the same and the group sizes were also. I know the Norma brass would show pressure signs way before the Lapua or the Winchester would. I decided on the max load for the Norma case for all three cases and I started shooting them. I would load all the cases of one kind and fire all them and move the next brand. The Norma cases gave up first with head seperation after 5 reloadings. I got 2 more reloadings out of the Lapua and the Winchester brass than the Norma. After 7 reloadings on the Lapua and the Winchester I started seeing the shinny head seperation rings and I called it quits. So my take on the matter is the Norma is not worth it. If you don't like case prep them buy the Lapua, but in most cases the Winchester brass will do just fine for a lot less money.

David
Old 03-14-2008, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member

brass

if lapua is available i use it. 300 win , 243 30-06, 222; 6.5-284 it is costs a little more but it is worth it . i use nosler with the 7mmrem.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:36 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
Moman, don't wast your time with Remington or Winchester brass. Spend the money on Norma Brass. Norma brass will;

1. Allow you to shoot higher pressure loads for higher velocity and better performance.

2. Allow for less time prepping brass.

3. Last longer, you get about 9 to 10 firings with Norma 270 WSM. You will only get about 3 to 4 firings with Winchester or Remington brass before it turns to junk.

4. Allow your rifle to shoot more accurately.

5. Much better consistancy

I am not saying Remington or Winchester wont work, it will, just not as good as Norma Brass. If you use Remington or Winchester brass, you will have to spend a bunch of time, cleaning necks, uniforming flash holes, uniforming primer pockets, trimming, ect.

Remington and Winchester have been falling down on the QC (Quality Control). I would highly recommend Norma Brass, and I bet you will get much better results. Sure, it's going to cost more up front but it will be cheaper and worth it in the long run.

You can get Norma 270 WSM Brass, at MidwayUSA, for $94.00 for a box of 100. I know it's $40.00 more than the Winchester or Remington brass, but it's worth it.

W.
Can I just add one thing,I don't want to tread on anybodies toes,the 'higher pressure loads' are in fact a fallacy,the reason you can add more powder is because of larger case capacity,not because the brass withstands more pressure!
My tests have shown Norma brass to have from 6grs-10grs more capacity than either Remington or Winchester brass.
That said,it is extremely good brass,and it does last longer!
On a side note,I bought Nosler custom brass in this cartridge,and it was a waste of time/money,it's way too soft,ejector marks with starting loads!
I'm glad I dropped my charges back,and tested from the start loads,I don't know what would've happened if I didn't!
MagnumManiac
Old 03-15-2008, 11:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moman View Post
Lots of great info! Roy, how did you get that kind of velocity out of a 270 Win? I remember reading another one of your posts about this, that's great velocity in that caliber.
58.5 gr RL-22 Seated as long as the Mauser action will allow. 27" Lilja barrel.

Use full lenght resize die but size only about 2/3rds of the neck. Need all the volume you can get.