Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Is Win brass really this bad?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2005, 05:40 AM
Silver Member

Is Win brass really this bad?

Picked up 2-50count bags of Winchester 308win brass last Sunday at Cabela's.
Uniformed the primer pockets and checked for runout before re-sizing them.
Runout was averaging .005 to .008.
Neither neck or FL sizing made a difference. When spinning them on the Sinclair concentricity gauge, the shoulders and mouths were uneven. Never saw it that bad before.
Purchased 100 Winchester 308win brass from Sinclair 2 years ago and that brass was good. Some of the cases had .003 runout before re-sizing and most were .002 or less.

The latest Win brass had numerous dents in the shoulders and bodies. Some of that also appeared in the first batch I bought but were blown out upon firing.
Thought about trying to fire some of them to see if the uneven shoulders would get blown out to factory spec but am not sure the excessive ruinout would be safe.
I'm wondering if this is just a bad lot.
Will be returning them to Cabela's. Might take my concentricity gauge along and check some of their other inventory.
Lapua brass keeps getting more and more attractive. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-05-2005, 05:59 AM
Gold Member

Re: Is Win brass really this bad?

Skinny,
I bought the same but 300wsm ( Norma worked out at $1.75 each here in the UK so i did'nt have much choice) my aim was to get 50 good cases to go into case prep.
My normal visual inspection culled 58 cases!
Bad dings in the case mouth and what can only be described as gouges, not dents in the shoulder and case body.
I seriously considered dumping the whole lot and forking out for Norma, but i perservered and lowered my inspection criteria to get the desired quantity, picking the best out of the rejected 58.
I must admit that after carefull case prep these cases returned excellent accuracy out of my Winchester Stealth.

Ian.

"I mean't to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"
Old 07-05-2005, 08:19 AM
Bronze Member

I use a lot of win. brass for 243 308 and 22/250 and never had brass that bad. I picked up a 100 at cabalas in mich. last fall they were about a 2% cull rate.
I do not weigh or resize new brass only neck size. i will ramdom check for O.L. then I fire form. prep all my brass
Clean, if needed. always clean the inside neck, primer pockets, trim to length and chamfer the inside primer hole only slightly. Turn the necks to about 75% to 80%.
Then i batch weight the cases. resize neck only.load
then I fire for groups 300, 500 and 600yds.
All cases in the main group go togeather regardless of weight any that fall out side the main group are culled.
cases with defects should be discarded. most of the scratches are just superficial and dont think they cause a real problem.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:38 PM
Platinum Member

Skinny,

I wouldn't get too worried about that brass. It gets beat to H#$% in those ziploc bags in transit and that doesn't help anything!

I would match prep the brass as usual, trim, fire, size and then measure for runout. Anything that doesn't work, cull it out. Win 308 brass is often quite good once it gets a little TLC. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:37 PM
Silver Member

Win brass for me has been better than rem brass. Although the last rem brass I bought came in 50 bags like the winchester and that was really nice brass. I'm real high on the lyman "m" die for working over new brass. It really irons out the neck problems and leaves the concentricity as good as it came from the factory. Plus if you want you can just ever so slightly bell the case mouth for easy seating of all bullets (not just lead bullets for which the m-die was designed). I'm prepping some brand new hornady brass in 300 wby for a hunt in alaska and expect most of my loaded runnout to be below .002 with virgin brass---plenty good for a wetherby rifle with freebore. The hornady brass i've been working with is flat out wonderful. I also noticed at the nosler pro shop they are starting to market "blem" nosler brand match grade brass at real good prices in .308.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:54 AM
SPONSOR

I only use win brass, not becaue I just love it that much just, I can just get it real cheap so it makes sense. I have really liked it so far and it shoots great for me. I haven't ever measured neck concentricity or runout, I just inspect, size, trim and shoot. Out of my last batch of once fired though I noticed that about 6 out of 50 were nearly 10 thousands longer than the rest. I am not real sure what that would mean so I just set them aside and will shoot the rest tongiht.

Steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 07-06-2005, 08:30 AM
Platinum Member

Curious what you guys pay for win 308 brass?? cause you can save a lot o fhassle with lapua for 32-33$/100

YMMV,
JB