Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Wilson or redding ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2009, 08:44 PM

Wilson or redding ?

Hey guys,

I am looking to do some longrange shooting/hunting and I feel I need to get my reloads as consistent as possible. For the least amount of run-out, what type and brand of sizer die & seater die do you guys think work the best?

I have read that most of the BR shooters full size with Type s bushing dies & seat with wilson type dies. Have also read that Wilson neck sizer & Wilson seater dies is the best way to go. Which is the most accurate too full or neck size?

Some have said the Redding body die & the Lee collet die work as good.

Please give me some advice on what I need to get.

Thanks for the help!
Old 01-12-2009, 05:56 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Wilson or redding ?

"Some have said the Redding body die & the Lee collet die work as good."

I fully agree with some.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:04 PM
Silver Member

Are you shooting custom rifles?
Old 01-13-2009, 06:24 PM

Win 69

I am having a custom 300 rum built & have a 7 stw sendero that I plan to do some longrange with. What do you recommend for custom & factory?

Thanks for the replies.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:39 PM
Silver Member

I would just recommend the type s redding neck die a body die and a competition bullet seater. You really aren't going to get much more accuracy with a wilson set up. Plus you will have to use a different press.

With a custom barrel, type s redding dies like listed above and good reloading techniques the rest of the game is the guy behind the trigger. I have two rifles that are .5moa rifles (5 shot) and both have custom tubes but I bet you that if I could put that gun in a vice and remotely pull the trigger it would be under .2.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:05 PM

A friend brought me a Lee collet die too try out, he said it is a little hard to get the feel of sizing the neck. I'll try it out on a few rounds. Is there any certain way that works better to adjust the collet die to get the right feel?

Thanks again.
Randy
Old 01-14-2009, 09:20 AM
Platinum Member

Lee Collet die set up = A great die but ignore the instructions. The instructions are correct but often leaves people scratcing their heads. Or pressing to hard and pushng the alum. top out of the die!

Instead, put a fired case in the shell holder and raise the ram full height. Screw the die down as far as you can by hand. Then lower the case and turn the die down a bit more, 1/8" is usually plenty. Again raise the ram, full lever travel, and "size" the case. Check to see if a bullet still slides in easy, it likely will. Turn the die down another 1/8th OF A TURN , NOT 1/8th inch!, and try again. Keep it up until you can't insert a bullet into the fired case neck by hand. That should be enough, lock the die ring and size your cases. (Do NOT attempt to adjust the Lee die without a case in it, it will likely jam up)

Trying to be concerned about whether the lever "cams-over", or what 20 lbs of force on the lever feels like, is too indefinete. But attemping to hand seat bullets after full lever travel isn't indefinent, it works ever time it's tried!

Last edited by boomtube; 01-14-2009 at 09:23 AM.