Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Berger Bullets

Why would a gunsmith change the shoulder of a 338 Lapua ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-10-2009, 07:14 PM
Gold Member

Re: Why would a gunsmith change the shoulder of a 338 Lapua ?

Not an expert but I'll run this by the guys in the know, couldn't he send a couple loaded rounds to someone and have a reamer made just like his chamber is cut with?
RR

Unread 06-10-2009, 09:14 PM
Silver Member

Ridge:
I had thought about that too. I did send 5 fired cartridges to Redding and they said they could make the dies, So why not as you suggested.
Unread 06-11-2009, 06:46 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Only thing I have to offer is about the Hornady Hydroform die. If will not work on the Lapua. When they started making these, I talked with them and they made me a couple form dies to test out on my wildcats that are based on the 338 Lapua case.

Simply put, they DO NOT work on this large of a case or a case with case walls this heavy. We beat the living hell out of that thing and the best we could get was a slight round on the case shoulder, less then 20% formed.

I passed on my results with them and they said the case was designed for small capacity, thin walled cases and that they suspected it would have problems with the large capacity cases with heavier walls.

Do not waste your time or money on this one if your trying to form cases on the Lapua.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Unread 06-11-2009, 07:00 PM
Silver Member

Kirby:
I really appreciate your reply. What is your suggestion? Is fire forming the best way? I appreciate your thoughts.
Sincerely,
Unread 06-12-2009, 08:28 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

You can fireform with pistol powder, corn meal and a paper wad, this is the cheapest way to fireform.

The biggest thing I recommend with something like this is that unless you really need alot of formed brass, just form up 50 rounds of brass. With a case like the 338 Lapua case, they will last a long time so its not like your going to wear your cases out every 3-4 firings.

Fireforming is a pain to some degree and doing a full 100 rounds is also a pain.

As far as fireforming. Most will tell you to use Unique handgun powder. It certainly works but when I started offering formed cases for my customers in my wildcat chamberings I realized that putting 20 grains of powder in each case started to add up when you were forming thousands of rounds. Does not sound like much but when your running a business, your concerned with every penny you can save. As such, I started playing with faster handgun powders and settled on Green dot.

In my 300 AX which is very similiar to the round your dealing with, I used to use 20 grains of Unique to form brass, now I use 13 grains of Greendot so I save a substantial amount in cost and the end result is the same.

Some will say this is hard on the throat and acts as a bead blasting effect on the bore. I am not sure I agree with this but its possible. I have several thousand fireforming loads down my fireforming fixture barrels and they still look very good once I clean them up but I wanted to mention it.

If your only going to do a limited number of rounds, it will not be an issue but if you try to form up 500 rounds of brass you may see some issues in the throat.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Unread 06-12-2009, 10:52 AM
Platinum Member

TexasDave,

I tried to read all the replies, but may have missed this info if it was already posted. If you do fireform, make sure to remove your muzzle brake while doing it.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Unread 06-12-2009, 01:35 PM
Silver Member

AJ:
Thanks for that info. I did not know and as I think about it I would bet that could make a problem if it were not removed.

Sincerely,