Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Why would a gunsmith change the shoulder of a 338 Lapua ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2009, 04:19 PM
Silver Member

Why would a gunsmith change the shoulder of a 338 Lapua ?

I have a 30-338 Lapua that the smith that built it changed the shoulder to a 38 degree angle on the case. My reason for asking this question is that forces me to fire form all the brass. I have the formula which is 19 g of unique and a 150 g molly bullet. With the shortage of supplies now days I have been looking for a way around fire forming and so far have not found it. My search then brought the question to my mind why was the shoulder changed? Do I really get anything more by doing that? I know I can not change this until the barrel needs to be replaced and I have not seem to have a capacity problem but I am sure there is a good explanation and I was hoping someone could explain it to me. I appreciate your time.

Thanks,
Old 06-09-2009, 06:09 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Why would a gunsmith change the shoulder of a 338 Lapua ?

Are you sure that the case isn't blown out too... that it is actually a 30-338 lapua improved??? To my knowledge that would be the most reasonable explination.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:38 PM
Silver Member

I've never worked with the 30-338 version but on the straight .338 Lapua Improved the gunsmith I deal with is driving 300gr Sierras to the 3000fps mark and higher. Plus he is finding that with the improved version he doesn't have to trim his brass even after numerous firings. My 260AI is the same, no need to trim the case length.

Check with Hornady I thinky they make a hydraulic die that will allow you to form brass. I'm sure someone on here can confirm this or not.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:54 PM
Silver Member

Maybe so it can not be accidently chambered in a standard 338 Lapua?
Old 06-09-2009, 06:56 PM
Silver Member

Guess I need to measure to be sure about the case being blown out too. Interesting. I do know he was taking the regular 338 Lapua case and then necking it down and then fire forming it. This is great info to look at. The more I think about it the case shoulder is up making the body of the case longer. I will have to measure tomorrow.
Thanks
Old 06-09-2009, 07:14 PM
Gold Member

min. body taper and sharp shoulders make trimming cases almost unheard of. you shoot higher pressure with less pressure signs so you get higher velocity.
You can fireform without bullets, just charge with 19-20 gr of unique, fill the case with corn meal, tap the case to settle the meal, then plug it with a rolled up "worm" of paper towel, press it in tight with a punch or small allen wrench.
I form cases like this all the time, but I do vary the charge depending on case capacity.

However, do not discount the accuracy potential of fireform loads, when I used moderate loads to fireform 338 LM cases to 7mm Allen mag, my fireform loads would shoot in the .2's
here is a target

RR

Last edited by Ridge Runner; 06-09-2009 at 07:20 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
I have a 30-338 Lapua that the smith that built it changed the shoulder to a 38 degree angle on the case. My reason for asking this question is that forces me to fire form all the brass. I have the formula which is 19 g of unique and a 150 g molly bullet. With the shortage of supplies now days I have been looking for a way around fire forming and so far have not found it. My search then brought the question to my mind why was the shoulder changed? Do I really get anything more by doing that? I know I can not change this until the barrel needs to be replaced and I have not seem to have a capacity problem but I am sure there is a good explanation and I was hoping someone could explain it to me. I appreciate your time.

Thanks,
Dave.

Did you buy it that way or did the smith change it without you permission.

If you bought it like that It should have been marked on the barrel that it was a 300 Lapua
38o. Any chamber that is not standard should be marked on the barrel ID.

The standard shoulder is 25o 67' so it has been blown out and top pressure loads should not
be fired in it.

If he chambered it with the 38o shoulder and did not check with you first then I would ask him
to set the barrel back and chamber it with the standard 300 Lapua mag reamer if you don't
want to fire form the brass.

The 38o shoulder will give you a little more powder capacity and may improve brass life but you will have to reform your brass one way or the other.

I have to assume that he made you aware of the difference and the brass requirements.

J E CUSTOM