Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

why powder ,bullets and brass are hard to find

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2013, 01:48 PM
Silver Member

why powder ,bullets and brass are hard to find

Who finds this disgusting? Average 250,000 rounds fired for every conformed kill in Iraq and Afganastan. I always thought it was Obama just making big orders for ammo to hurt the pro-gun public...Maybe they should of just given 99% of the troops firecrackers. With that kind of marksmanship all they were doing is making noise...You Google it and find stories about it.... dgarrett
Old 12-19-2013, 02:39 PM
Banned

Re: why powder ,bullets and brass are hard to find

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgarrett View Post
Who finds this disgusting? Average 250,000 rounds fired for every conformed kill in Iraq and Afganastan. I always thought it was Obama just making big orders for ammo to hurt the pro-gun public...Maybe they should of just given 99% of the troops firecrackers. With that kind of marksmanship all they were doing is making noise...You Google it and find stories about it.... dgarrett
It was two or three times that in Viet Nam. You would realize why it is like that if you had ever been to a war zone. A lot of fire in a combat zone is suppression fire. The only ones that really make it count is the snipers. A war cannot be fought one round at a time. That is just the way it is. Machineguns are not efficient ammo users.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:19 PM
Bronze Member

sbhooper is exactly right, when you are trying to engage an opponent you will quite often put down covering/suppressing fire down in order to get their heads down for movement purposes.

And let me tell you, if your buddy is down next to a wall and you have to go and get him, all of the other guys will lay down a WALL of rounds so that you can do so. Or when you get hit with an IED initiated ambush followed by small arms fire then every person available will be laying down suppression fire to get them to stop shooting at YOU. At that point the inability of persons stateside to get reloading supplies is not very important...

I am not going to get into it much more as I wanted to write all sorts of stuff that could get into OPSEC issues, but until you have had to react to a completely disorienting position like that then do not condemn to use of a lot of rounds in order to stay alive or keep your buddies alive. Maybe more rounds are used then necessary, but it really depends on what side of "necessary" you are sitting on.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:46 PM
Platinum Member

Re: why powder, bullets and brass are hard to find

I support the troops for doing anything that gives them the advantage and improves their odds of surviving. Whether it's practicing and preparation, or a firefight.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:06 PM
Platinum Member

Dgarrett,

If it makes you feel any better, snipers average something around 1.3-1.7 rounds per kill, depending on where you get your figures from. Our SDMs are probably up there fairly high as well.

Some years back, some congressional weenie tried to get an investigation going concerning war crimes against (comitted by) our troops. The number of Al Qaeda and insurgent fighters that were turning up with single bullet wounds through the head was apparently disconcerting to some leftist hand-wringers over here, and they alleged that these constituted proof that our troops were executing prisoners. A little study confirmed that improved marksmanship training, combined with the advent of optics on most soldiers rifles (just try to find a recent pic of troops armed with iron-sighted rifles) meant that when they had an exposed target, they popped it. Just happened that that's what was visible to them, so that's what they shot.

As I saw it, they all got their 72 virgins, so everyone's happy . . . what's the problem?
Old 12-19-2013, 05:39 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhooper View Post
It was two or three times that in Viet Nam. You would realize why it is like that if you had ever been to a war zone. A lot of fire in a combat zone is suppression fire. The only ones that really make it count is the snipers. A war cannot be fought one round at a time. That is just the way it is. Machineguns are not efficient ammo users.
Agreed with the above!

Suppressing fire is a wonderful thing when you are pinned down or have a partner that needs to move. To hell with the round count at that time its about making it home. Yes the recent ammo prices and lack of ammo and reloading components sucks but I was sure glad I carried an extra mag or two overseas.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:25 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgarrett View Post
Who finds that disgusting. - NOT ME. If it took 2,000,000 rounds per kill and I could not find ANY COMPONENTS - it would well be worth it.

Send our troops firecrackers - you don't want me to comment on something like this.

If I were you I'd suggest you delete your post because if you respond in some similar stupid manner - I will also, and Len is going to throw my butt atta here for what I'd say.