Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Why not Barnes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2006, 02:16 PM
Silver Member

Why not Barnes?

I always see people useing Sierra bullets, but why not Barnes? I would think that with all copper construction they would be prime. I am useing them but haven't shot anything with them. They don't cost a whole lot more than Noslers. I was just curious..

Joe Oakes
Old 10-31-2006, 02:36 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Why not Barnes?

People on this board tend to shoot what is the most accurate in their rifles over the looooong haul. Typically that is one of the high BC match quality bullets.

The Sierra SMK's have a proven track record for accuracy, reasonably high BC and are easy to find.

As to the Barnes X bullets - shooters seem to either love em' or hate em' with no one in the middle. The newer TSX bullets are MUCH easier to get to shoot well (IMO) and you will find more than a few shooters who swear by them.

All in all, if you took a poll on LRH, I think that you will find more shooters using the Sierra Matchkings than any other single bullet. While their terminal performance on game is highly debated on other boards, it is highly regarded amoung most in the long-range fraternity.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:37 PM
Silver Member

In most instances the SMK's have higher BC's than the barnes bullets, as well as being 1/2 or even 1/4 the price of the new polymer tipped X bullets.

Their performance is also excellent on deer as well as elk as some guys say on here. Weight retention is not the best thing about a bullet sometimes. If an x bullet retains 95% of it's weight but only leaves a 1 or 2" terminal trail through the animal and then exits and the animal runs 100yds, in some peoples minds thats not good performance.

But then you take the SMK and it expands 6-12" in the vitals and the animal drops or runs 20 yds, then some people (myself included) would say that's good performance. Even if you only have 40 or 50% retention.

Shoot what is most accurate in your rifle and what is the most cost effective, while still giving you the performance you are after. I think thats the goal.

Remember weight retention is NOT everything!
Old 10-31-2006, 04:49 PM
Gold Member

Another fact is that you have Nosler Accubonds with a high BC and terminal performance. So long range guys would choose them over barnes lower bc bullets.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:16 PM
Silver Member

Good point, I know if I were hunting elk or anything larger than deer, the accubond would be the only bullet I would consider, other than possibly, maybe the SMK.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:58 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

X bullets BC's are largely exaggerated. Mathematicaly, they have a high BC IF they were jacketed lead which has a better "specifec gravity" function. Solid copper has a very low SG function which hurts the BC. Terminaly, they are great if you dont hit a big flat bone at a sharp angle. They are also much harder more times to shoot accurate enough to entertain most shooters found here. Bottom line: Low BC, hard to get accurate (not always) and cost alot more than other hunting or match bullets.

AMAX's, ACCUBONDS and SMK's (SMK's if you match the bullet to the velocity and game you are hunting which goes for hunting bullets too, just SMK's can be more finiky) all do VERY well for much less money, higher BC's and better overall accuracy.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:43 PM
Bronze Member

[ QUOTE ]
X bullets BC's are largely exaggerated. Mathematicaly, they have a high BC.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I am new to this, how is BC calculated? Where do bullet makers post the facts, equations or test results, that determine BC?

Rogue