Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Why is my Redding type s Neck Sizing die bumping my shoulder??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 12:16 AM
Bronze Member

Why is my Redding type s Neck Sizing die bumping my shoulder??

I have a Redding FL body die and the Type S bushing style neck sizer die. Using my body die I have been bumping my 7mm RM's shoulder .002 after it became snug in the chamber. I measure the headspace with a hornady l-n-l gauge after I bump the shoulder and it is exactly .002. Then I proceed to size the neck with a neck sizing bushing die.

I go through a 2-step process of sizing the neck because my chamber isn't very tight. I use 1 bushing to gradually re-size the neck (.004) then use another size busing to get it to where it needs to be. I then remeasure my headspace and have noticed it is moving an additional .002 after neck sizing. I know the neck sizing die doesn't make contact with the shoulder so why is it moving another .002??

I have checked the concentricity and found the runout to be very little (.002). I have the titanium nitride bushings and am not using any lube. Is the force from neck sizing moving the shoulder?? Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 09-01-2011, 08:29 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Why is my Redding type s Neck Sizing die bumping my shoulder??

Sounds like a 'Type S - Full Length Resizing/Bushing Die'
As described here: Type S Bushing Dies | Redding Reloading Equipment: reloading equipment for rifles, handguns, pistols, revolvers and SAECO bullet casting equipment

Else you're die setting is deep beyond intent.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:42 AM
Platinum Member

You might try backing the bushing depth off so you are not sizing the neck all the way to the shoulder. Maybe stop .020" short of the shoulder. I could see where if you are bottoming the bushing out on the shoulder angle it could be pushing the shoulder back .

Jeff
Old 09-01-2011, 10:04 AM
Bronze Member

I have the Redding Type S Bushing Neck Sizer Die that does not bump the shoulder as seen here:

Redding Type S Bushing Neck Sizer Die 7mm Remington Magnum - MidwayUSA

I should have mentioned that I am not neck sizing the entire neck so that it aligns better in my chamber, therefor it is not touching the shoulder. Is there anything else that could be happening? I use the Redding comp shellhoders to make small adjustments. What could be going wrong? My only explanation is that the downward pressure created from sizing the neck is pushing the shoulder down .002?
Old 09-01-2011, 11:29 AM
Platinum Member

How do you know it's not touching the shoulder?
have you smoked the shoulder and run it through the die?
Old 09-01-2011, 11:57 AM
Bronze Member

I haven't smoked or dyed the neck and shoulder yet. I will try that this weekend and see if is by chance contacting the shoulder. I would assume it's not because I'm not sizing the entire neck but I am sizing 90% of the neck. Since the bushing is somewhat rounded it may be contacting the shoulder. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:15 PM
Platinum Member

No the bushing isn't contacting the shoulder, and it isn't pushing the shoulder back from neck sizing, but there is plenty good chance of the die body contacting.
The S-type die is a fixed chamber up to the neck, where a bushing land takes over. With that you couldn't size the entire neck if you wanted to with it. But if your guns chamber is wildy different than the die's fixed dimensions, you might be left with an issue on the body.

How do you have the die set?
Can you back the die out to a point that doesn't affect the body, while still providing the neck sizing needed?