Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Why the mad dash on reloading supplies?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 10:11 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Why the mad dash on reloading supplies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfur View Post

OTOH Why the <bleeeep> is everywhere out of 6mm Remington, 257 Bob and 7mm Mauser. Those are SUPER popular rounds
anything that goes bang right now my friend, anything that goes bang....

I'm even having a hard time finding some heavy match bullets for my 300 rum. 225 grain hdy hpbt's aren't going to be driven out of an ar10, but they are gone anyway...
Old 01-31-2013, 10:32 PM
Silver Member

Been following this post for several days now. Funny, enlightening, and sad all at the same time.

Could not read every post, but I think a huge tax increase on ammo and reloading supplies is coming. Just my 2 cents. If they cannot stop you from owning a gun, they might make it so you cannot afford to shoot one.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:59 PM
Silver Member

Ding Ding...
We have a winner folks! farout hits the nail on the head. The jerks in Washington can easily just triple or worse the taxes on ammo and components. Then they don't hav e to try and dismantle the 2nd Ammendment.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:26 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7mmstw View Post
anything that goes bang right now my friend, anything that goes bang....

I'm even having a hard time finding some heavy match bullets for my 300 rum. 225 grain hdy hpbt's aren't going to be driven out of an ar10, but they are gone anyway...
I know what you mean, it's the same for my 300wm. I saw where Berger had discontinued some so I went to their website. There is a notice comes up that says due to the high demand for certain caliber bullets they have ceased production of some caliber of bullet to free up machinery for those in high demand due to the political climate after the election. They had a list and there was many on it.
This list was up before the school shooting so things had already been headed down hill for us! I kinda guess the same may be going on with other bullet makers, who knows. But even at that I have a hard time seeing how some bullets have sold out myself. I did find a few bullets this week that I'd been looking for but had to get one in a different weight but it will be OK.
I'm thinking in a year or so you will see a bunch of reloading stuff up for sale but I could be wrong.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfur View Post
If you owned a factory, would you spend capital cost (new machines, new space, new hiring) to produce a product that might be banned? To produce a product that demand might fall through the floor on?

OTOH Why the <bleeeep> is everywhere out of 6mm Remington, 257 Bob and 7mm Mauser. Those are SUPER popular rounds
In as much as I am in business, not in the firearm or component business I might add, capital expenditures are based on many varibles other than demand and supply of a product. Many business base capital purchases on 'anticipated' demand, something I do.

While it might be banned (I seriously doubt it), in reality, consumer buying of projectiles, powder and other components is a very small percentage of the manufacturers business. The government and it ancillary armed agencies buy most of the ammunition.

The most obvious example that comes to mind is Federal. They have some neat video's on You-Tube about what they do. You might take a look.

Others are Colt Industries and Olin, both big, big government suppliers, first tier contractors.

I have a good friend who is a Federal Agent and he regularly is at the range expending hundreds of rounds of various calibers to which he always chides me.... You paid for it....

I admit I did. So did you.........
Old 01-31-2013, 11:32 PM
Silver Member

My favorite shop down in Tacoma had 4,000 Fed 210s on the shelf as of this morning. I called because my nephew in Bozeman can't find any. They also have a pretty good bunch of powder including H1000 and Retumbo, tons of WSM brass, an OK selection of bullets and the place was pretty full of guns - no ARs though. The local Wholesale Sports is pretty wiped out of primers but you could get some bullets and powder though maybe not the bullets you would like. On an upbeat note the local paper had a pretty big spread on "gun control" and finished by saying that there is enough opposition in Congress to prevent them from pulling off a ban on assault weapons, noting that Feinstein didn't even talk up her own bill when she had the chance but it looks like background checks for private sales may be on the way. So there you go - no need to panic buy ARs or reloading supplies - like anybody will listen to that idea.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farout View Post
Been following this post for several days now. Funny, enlightening, and sad all at the same time.

Could not read every post, but I think a huge tax increase on ammo and reloading supplies is coming. Just my 2 cents. If they cannot stop you from owning a gun, they might make it so you cannot afford to shoot one.
My comment is simply, if you hunt, like me, you don't need large amounts of loaded ammunition. If you are about ******* away rounds at the range or out back of your house, thats another story. Thats what 22's are for, not magnum rounds.....

I don't. I might send 2 dozen rounds from each of my hunting rifles in a year (once sighted and ready to rock) so I don't care if the tax goes up. Besides I have enough inventory in components and factory loads to run for years without buying anything. Powders and primers last indefinitely if kept sealed and in a humidity controlled atmsophere. Brass goes multiple reloads if maintained and annealed properly and not overloaded. Bullets, I have thousands and I have the capability to malke my own if necessary.

No issue here. Foresight is always better than hindsight. History repeats itself, I knew it was only a matter of time and all hell would break loose again (like it did 4 years ago) so like a good Boy Scout, I was prepared.

I might need some odd stuff, but I can wait. Matter of fact, I have items on backorder with Midway, Grafs and Natchez. No hurry here. We, as a whole need to get over the 'I want it now' ****.

Finally, in my view, this hobby/sport isn't a cheap date in the first place. If can't run with big dogs if you squat to piss....