Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Why do you reload cartridges?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2011, 02:10 PM
PUBLISHER

Why do you reload cartridges?

I thought this may be an interesting topic for discussion. In my rifle business I talk to a surprising number of guys who choose not to reload.

Why do you reload?

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 12-03-2011, 02:14 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Why do you reload cartridges?

I reload for the fastest most accurate cartidge for that picticular rifle. First started for cost savings but that went out the window. Nowdays I like wildcat cartdiges and you have to reload. Just my thoughts.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:02 PM
Platinum Member

+1 on what Wyoelk said

And I just like the satisfaction it brings when you take the animal down with the bullet and powder combo that I have chosen. I also really like the challenge that reloading brings to find that one really accurate load and that the challenge will be different for every gun.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:42 PM
Platinum Member

Unlike the 2 previous posters I dont strive for the FASTEST load(s)...I strive to get the BEST loads for my purposes.

In 44Mag for example...I have a hard time controlling full bore loads...but I can handload a round that the chrono checks out as "fast enough" that I CAN control perfectly.

COST is another factor as some loadings it seems dealers want "war prices" for. I was flat amazed at the difference in $$ between say a 243 Win round and a .260 Rem round..! Dont make a bit of sense to me.....and then toss in the 6mmBR that Im getting ready to start working on....and a guy is speechless!!!!

Then of course is the added fact of enjoyment....Creating something that is accurate and still goes "bang"...
Old 12-03-2011, 03:44 PM
Platinum Member

When I was just a kid I realized I was a poor shot compared to my peers so I started practicing a lot. Back then all the rifles I had were junk and couldn't hit my butt with either hand. Then I bought a pre 64 model 70 and started to hit stuff but was always out of loads. So I bought a Herter's press and some 06 dies and went to work.

I have not bought a factory load in 40 years but the reloads I build today are a heck of a lot better than the ones I punched out on that old Herter press years ago.

The reason I reload today is I enjoy building stuff and when I build a load that finally performs it cool....and I like shooting it.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 12-03-2011, 06:43 PM
Platinum Member

Accuracy only.

I don't really care about cost, because MY TIME is expensive too.
If I somehow observed factory ammo performing as well as mine, in one of my guns, I would buy enough for that barrel's life & stop reloading for it.
And I'd just toss the used brass in a bucket like most others at my range..

How liberating that would be!
Old 12-03-2011, 06:49 PM
Gold Member

For me, I like the technical side of it. I'm just an industrial mechanic not an engineer but I like measuring cases, bullets, primer pockets, trickling my powders, headspace, shoulder setback, comparing this-to-this and that-to-that. I'm not anal, I just enjoy seeing how much accuracy I can squeeze out of my guns. It's also an enjoyable passtime to reload and to shoot.
I'm fortunate that Lisa likes to watch me reload and loves to go shooting with me. We no longer have kids at home, (we're 50) so this is how we spend our time and money.
It does save money to reload....bwwwaaahhhaaaa...sorry I couldn't keep a straight face. I burn up WAY more money than I save. Plus, I'm always buying more and better reloading stuff. But I'm one hell of a lot better shot than if I didn't reload that's for sure!