Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Berger Bullets

View Poll Results: Why do you handload?
For accuracy. 127 65.46%
To save money/shoot more often. 36 18.56%
Need to for a wildcat. 11 5.67%
It's just a hobby. 6 3.09%
To have more component options. 14 7.22%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Why do you handload?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-02-2008, 09:35 AM
Bronze Member
I started for accuracy and to save money, but in all honesty I shoot so much now and spend so much on different powders, bullets and upgraded equipment trying new things that it's really not a money saving thing in the long run. I get to shoot alot now though and it makes me a much better marksman and with the improved accuracy I would recommend it to anyone. Besides it's something to do during the winter in the evenings.

Unread 06-11-2008, 10:08 PM
Bronze Member
All of the above I cannot choose just one
Unread 06-12-2008, 12:17 AM
Platinum Member
Needed to check multiple boxs

Accuracy,performance boost,wild cat and improved cartridges,cost savings.However its a pain in the neck. If I was rich I'd only load for the wild cats .
How does it profit a man if he gains the whole world but loses his soul?
Unread 06-18-2008, 06:24 PM
Bronze Member
My main reason would definately be accuracy. I couldn't imagine having to go back to factory ammo after dialing in all of my rifles with reloads. The .338 Lapua would be very expensive to shoot if I didn't.

I am now very confident shooting my rifles with reloads and I feel it gives me an advantage when taking long or difficult shots on game. I would have no problem taking a 300 yard shot on a deer if I could only see his head and neck. I couldn't say that 10 years ago.

Life is short... Lets go kill something
Unread 06-21-2008, 10:35 AM
Bronze Member
As i now have a custom built 223 ackley i feel the only way to get the best out of it is to do load development and get the max performance out of the rifle
Unread 06-22-2008, 09:16 PM
Well, started when I was 19 in 1999 to save money. I shot 600-700 rounds of centerfire that year up from a box or two. Kept loading until I started working on the oilpatch in 01, didn't have the time and my equipment stayed packed up. After alot of fighting with factory loads that wouldn't shoot and buying a 264 in 05 and a 30-378 in early 07 I started reloading again before I bought any factory wby ammo. .... It's not all economics, the quality is better, it is an antistress. ALbeit it does get a little old by the end of a 100 round session. I use the cheap little lee trimmers with a drill to trim so I trim alot during the NHL playoffs(except for my 30-378, 264 Need case length gauges). Most brass prep happens during the winter as it's too cold to shoot and work leaves no daylight hours to target shoot. If I have daylight during the winter I hunt yotes or try to spend time with the famly.

Unread 06-22-2008, 11:49 PM
Platinum Member
Saving money was not something I considered at all. I guess for me, at first, it was simply the fascination of being able to "put it all together myself." In a way, I am glad that all of the game animals I had killed prior to loading were taken with a bow.

I've killed only ONE animal using factory ammo in 20+ years of loading. All of the others were with my loads. There is also something very satisfying about that. I'm truly guessing but I'd say 80% were with ballistic tips. When I first saw them I thought they were cool and they had a great reputation for accuracy. (no one ever told me that some blew up). And to date, I've still never had that happen.

My brother also bowhunted long before using a rifle. He's never taken any game with factory ammo, just the stuff I made.

Accuracy was what I was striving for. When I was told that I could custom load a round for an individual rifle using components that were of my choosing, I jumped all over it.

The proof was realized when I took a plain old factory Ruger MK II in 270 to the range with my first handloads using 140 Ballistic tips, IMR4350, WW brass, and WLR primers. I had no mentor to teach me much, but I did work in a firearms store in Tucson long enough to learn from their own custom reloading dept guys. I knew nothing of the ladder method, or changing seating depths at that time. I simply seated the bullet to whatever the load book said.

Loaded up 4 rounds each charge beginning at minimum and going to max. Found out that 1/2 grain under max was what my rifle liked and it shot 4 bullets in 3/4". Retested it and it was even less. 3rd test and they were about an inch. I kept working with it and they never grouped over an inch at 100 yards.

I killed a LOT of southern deer with that load for years. (you can kill a deer a day in Alabama and they had "doe days" after Christmas). Same with the 7mag and 140 Btips.
Derek M.