Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Why can't I get a consistant C.O.L.?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2008, 05:20 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrouper View Post
Sounds to me like you might have inconsistent neck tension and/or the big bullet is crunching powder and impeding the seating process. This sounds very likely as the 110 vmax are seating fine because they are so much shorter.
I know I am not having a problem with the bullet crunching the powder,because I can here the powder move around when I shake a loaded round.I think I will look into the inconsistant neck tension though.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQguy View Post
I know I am not having a problem with the bullet crunching the powder,because I can here the powder move around when I shake a loaded round.I think I will look into the inconsistant neck tension though.
Shaking the case isn't the best way to check this because kernels can shake loose past the boat tail yet the center of the powder column could still be smashed. A better way to check is just to listen and feel what is going on while you seat the bullet. How much powder are you using and what is your desired OAL?
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassman View Post

I had a 06 one time that 8 shells out of 20 that I loaded, would not fit into the chamber. Reason was, the bullets were "out of alignment" in the case by 8 thousands. So being I had them seated to .020 off the lands, they were hitting the side of the barrel and not allowing the round to chamber. So this is something you may want to look into.

Hope this helps.

Interesting. .008" out of round is not all that uncommon on badly loaded ammo and I've never seen it cause a problem of not going in the chamber. It sounds like other things were mixing in. Was your ammo measured at the tip of the bullet or somewhere on the brass?
Pull it
Dump it

Old 03-16-2008, 11:40 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Interesting. .008" out of round is not all that uncommon on badly loaded ammo and I've never seen it cause a problem of not going in the chamber. It sounds like other things were mixing in. Was your ammo measured at the tip of the bullet or somewhere on the brass?
I never measured from the tip, only the ojive.
When I straighten up the rounds that were .008 out, they all slid into the chamber without a problem.

Try this some time, take a case and bend the neck until it is out of alignment 8 thous and then seat the bullet. But have the bullet just with in .010 off the lands, then see if the case will go in.
The 06 casings will get the "banana curve" from time to time and the necks start to get a large run-out. This is why I check them regularly on the concentric gage.
I have only had this problem with the '06, but I guess it could happen on other caliber too.

Oh..it's not the die that's causing the run-out on the neck either, have tried 2 different brands, same thing. It's probably in the Neck area that's not right.

Last edited by glassman; 03-16-2008 at 11:44 PM.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:51 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Shaking the case isn't the best way to check this because kernels can shake loose past the boat tail yet the center of the powder column could still be smashed. A better way to check is just to listen and feel what is going on while you seat the bullet. How much powder are you using and what is your desired OAL?
I am using RL 22 @ 63.8 gr.,and a C.O.L of 3.483".
Old 03-18-2008, 11:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassman View Post
I never measured from the tip, only the ojive.
When I straighten up the rounds that were .008 out, they all slid into the chamber without a problem.

Try this some time, take a case and bend the neck until it is out of alignment 8 thous and then seat the bullet. But have the bullet just with in .010 off the lands, then see if the case will go in.
The 06 casings will get the "banana curve" from time to time and the necks start to get a large run-out. This is why I check them regularly on the concentric gage.
I have only had this problem with the '06, but I guess it could happen on other caliber too.

Oh..it's not the die that's causing the run-out on the neck either, have tried 2 different brands, same thing. It's probably in the Neck area that's not right.

I meant where did you run the concentricity dial on the loaded round? On the ogive, neck, or tip?
I can find factory ammo that is running .008" on the tip or ogive and it will go in the chamber fine.

I assume you are straightening the loaded round with a Bersin tool?

I still can't figure out why you have this bad of runout. If your chamber has bad alignent, your fired brass would show the bad concentricity. If your fired brass is good but your sized brass is bad, then the problem is in your dies. Something ain't right wherever it is and it isn't normal for a 30-06.
Pull it
Dump it

Old 03-18-2008, 11:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQguy View Post
I am using RL 22 @ 63.8 gr.,and a C.O.L of 3.483".

Sounds like a normal load. Try seating a bullet into a sized, non-primed, non-powdered case and see if the problem persists.
Pull it
Dump it