Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Why the big charge difference

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2007, 10:23 AM
Silver Member

Re: Why the big charge difference

If you really know your brass and your extractor consistancy you might be right.....but these two indicators can be very misleading. Especially if you are headspacing just a tad too much. Do you use a headspace gauge to make sure you aren't setting back the shoulder more than .002-.003"??
If you have a chrono I would think you could work up to the same speed as the reloader 19 with those other two powders because they are so near in burning rate.
Were you using the exact same brass, resizing technique, etc on the cases loaded with 4831 or re22??
I'm not trying to lecture here but I find it surprising that you might have "hit the wall" with light loads of the other two powders but got pretty much where you should have been with the RE19.
If you don't own a stoney point or hornady headspace bushing kit I would highly recomend one. It will really really open your eyes as to how to set your dies for good chamber fit and brass life.

Old 01-15-2007, 05:26 PM
Platinum Member

Thats my problem with it also, why the inconsistancy with similar powders. Everything was exactly (well as close as I could get it) the same. I cant figure out why the other two powders "hit the wall" well before reaching max, while the RL19 went well beyond max w/o any pressure signs. Maybe an inconsistant lot of RL19? I will start all over with this load when I run out of this batch just in case.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:41 PM
Silver Member

Thats why I was wondering if there wasn't something different about those loads that caused "false pressure" readings for you. Were you using the same brand of brass....shot the same amount of times.....sized the exact same way???? I can't believe that you got pressure readings at considerably less speed. I think something is giving a false reading or you need more to go on than trying to read the primer and a slight extractor circle.
Both those things can happen with some excess headspace. How is your sizing die set up. Is it just touching the shellholder or have you set it for minimum shoulder pushback?
Old 01-16-2007, 11:21 AM
Platinum Member

I was using the same brass in the same dies w/o any changes in set up.(basically just touching the sholder but carefully measuring the cases) I did not run but 4 of the rl22 and 4 or 5 of the IMR 4831s across the chronograph before I started seeing what I am considering to be pressure signs. made it to around 2780 before seeing pressure signs.(I think, dont have my notes at the office)

The load that I had loaded for hunting with the IMR 4831 was the starting load 52g. It was very accurate around 2550fps. (although the book says it should be around 2800 (not positive, at the office right now)

Made it all the way to 3100fps with the rl19 and still no pressure signs, but backed down anyway. This load is above the stated max. while the other loads were well below the max.

I dunno I am confused by the whole occurance. I do appreciate your input, it helped me decide to back off a little and accept a very accurate safer load even if there were no pressure signs. I loaded up 10 of the backed off load and shot at 300yds in the cold this AM (w/o the chrono). It is shooting sweet and I am calling well enough, even though I am getting a case of tinkeritus. (but I will start over with this load when I run out of this batch of powder)

Was working on a load for my 300wby at the same time and found out that even though some people malign the triple shocks, they are very accurate in my gun. So for now my load devoloping is done. Gotta get a new gun and some new dies before I can do anymore tinkering. I think I have reached a plateu for my 7 rum, 300wby and .280.

Any suggestions for something I can reload for that is very accurate out to 500 w/o a ton of recoil w/o a brake that I can get some barrel life out of? If things keep going the way they are now I am going to need 3 new barrels before next season.
Thanks EB
Old 01-16-2007, 01:00 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]

Any suggestions for something I can reload for that is very accurate out to 500 w/o a ton of recoil w/o a brake that I can get some barrel life out of? If things keep going the way they are now I am going to need 3 new barrels before next season.
Thanks EB

[/ QUOTE ]

Check the for sale section - eddief has a 7-08 which would fit your description quite nicely.