Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Why belted cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2014, 10:33 AM
Silver Member

Why belted cases

What's the purpose of a belted case? Why not just a normal case?
Old 08-09-2014, 04:54 PM
Silver Member

Re: Why belted cases

Because the folks (back in the day) at Holland and Holland Company of London, England decided that since they were designing a "magnum" cartridge (375 H&H magnum) that it should look different than a standard velocity round and we have been saddled with the belt on a lot of different cases ever since. It serves no purpose and often causes head space issues in chambers because the belt is used as the reference point of the case for head space measurement instead of the datem line.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunpoor View Post
Because the folks (back in the day) at Holland and Holland Company of London, England decided that since they were designing a "magnum" cartridge (375 H&H magnum) that it should look different than a standard velocity round and we have been saddled with the belt on a lot of different cases ever since. It serves no purpose and often causes head space issues in chambers because the belt is used as the reference point of the case for head space measurement instead of the datem line.
Actually, the belt is used to headspace the cartridge, instead of headspacing on the shoulder, like a non-belted does.

Also, it won't cause ANY issues if the barrel was properly headspaced with an in-spec reamer by a competent gunsmith.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:11 PM
Gold Member

Mud is right they were used for headspace. A lot of the Holland and Holland cartridges were not bottle necked enough to head space on the shoulder....

an armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians

know guns,know peace,know safety.no guns,no peace,no safety...

The second amendment is in place incase the politicians ignore the others

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

For those who trade liberty for security have neither Benjamin Franklin...
Old 08-09-2014, 06:19 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohring3006 View Post
Mud is right they were used for headspace. A lot of the Holland and Holland cartridges were not bottle necked enough to head space on the shoulder....
And add old powders and extreme heat and dust conditions in Africa hunting animals that are likely to kill you the belt assured reliable extraction of the fired case no matter how dirty or hot it was. Reloading was not a consideration of the design. Pure reliable extraction in the face of a charging animal is all it was about.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:45 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davkrat View Post
And add old powders and extreme heat and dust conditions in Africa hunting animals that are likely to kill you the belt assured reliable extraction of the fired case no matter how dirty or hot it was. Reloading was not a consideration of the design. Pure reliable extraction in the face of a charging animal is all it was about.
My understanding as principal reasoning for the design too. It was designed to be reliable in harsh African environments.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:35 AM
Bronze Member

i thought it was for reliable extraction in machine guns but this sounds logical as well.

"The addition of the belt allowed the cartridge to properly headspace, despite the relative lack of a definite shoulder. The reason for the lack of a definitive shoulder was that these old British cartridge cases were intended for firing cordite charges instead of modern smokeless powder. Cordite was extruded as spaghetti-like rods, so the cartridge cases had to be fairly cylindrical shaped to accommodate the cordite propellant rods"
308 Winchester Ruger M77