Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

who polishes inside of thier necks?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2008, 08:12 PM
SPONSOR

You should at a minimum be running a old cleaning brush down the neck before they ever get run into a die. The steel wool will not give inconsistencies, unless you kept polishing it for while and it got extremely hot. I wrap steel wool on a old brush chuckedin a cordless screw gun and run it in and out of my case neck 3-4 times and it polishes them up very nicely. You will deffinately notice a difference in seating pressure too. The carbon fouling is extremely hard and will actually damage your die. Although the button can be replaced, the rest of the die will be scratched and leave vertical lines on your case necks when resizing if you don't also clean off the little bit of residue that is on the outside of your necks.

www.mcrifles.com
Old 05-20-2008, 03:09 PM
Silver Member

i do run a bronze brush through my necks before sizing them,but i do believe the polishing will add to shot to shot consistency.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:03 AM
Silver Member

I posted a question on this a while back as I found that with ultrasonic cleaning the finish was a bit inconsistent around the full diameter of the neck internally afterwards. Some parts would have more carbon residue remaining than others.

I now clean with a bronze bore brush manually dipped in a bit of benzine - cleans it up well and leaves a finish that is (to the naked eye anyway) consistent. Dries quickly too.

Zediker deals with this in his book and suggested steering clear of chucking anything into a drill as I recall. I'd be happy with a few seconds with a cordless screwdriver or something though. That said I'd do whatever makes my neck finish look consistent right around and down to bare metal - I don't think a polished appearance is needed.