Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Who neck turns their brass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 03:52 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Who neck turns their brass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Worker View Post
Well I'm shooting a 6/284 . Neck of loaded round is .275 neck of fired case is .275 plus I'm getting tough extraction and pressure signs so it must be things are too tight.
if loaded and fired are the SAME, you have a really tight chamber and your cases need necks turned.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:33 PM
Platinum Member

It's usually safe to assume about .001 springback after firing. Meaning a .276 chamber neck will give .275 fired case necks. If loaded rounds are .275 then you've maybe only got .001 clearance or .0005" all the way around the loaded neck/bullet before it's fired.

In a stricly competition gun that is kept squeaky clean, that would maybe work if you didn't want to resize cases......fitted neck gun is the term I've heard........I bet you need a press to seat bullets (without sizing first)...... they probably wont seat with your fingers??

If that's the case, and it's a hunting gun that might get a little dirty between cleanings, I'd clean up (or turn down) the necks a little. Shouldn't take much, maybe .0005 to .0008 off the current neck thickness. Whatever you take off will be double by time you go full circle. After you turn necks, the tension on a loaded round will decrease unless you change bushing size in the resize die. You may have a tight enough bushing or die neck already, so this might not apply in your case.

If you dont want to turn the necks, a gunsmith can sometimes ream out the chamber neck just a touch. Or, you could try a different brand of brass that has thinner necks to begin with. If you've never turned necks, you can be in for quite a little expense with expander mandrels, turning mandrels, power case drivers, case holders, neck turner and cutters, tubing or neck thickness micrometers, ect. They are all necessary to turn a high volume of cases to within tight tolerances.

Sinclair International is a great place to get neck turning equipment IMO. Most of the customer service people know what they are talking about and are very helpful.

Just my opinion, but most rifles that are capable, don't need neck turning for 1/2 MOA groups, 1/2 minute and even better should come easy with good rifles and decent handloads/load development. But.........If we are after sub 1/4 MOA and better all the time, that's when we take off the high spots, or get tight neck chambers and turn down brass.

Good Luck

Old 11-06-2012, 06:38 PM
Platinum Member

I have a gun with a fitted chamber(not just necks).
26wssm imp, chamber nk: .291, I turn necks to 13thou thick: .290 loaded.
My fired necks spring back to .289, and I lightly partial NS using a Wilson & .288 bushing for tension that worked out from load development.

I'd say it's fitted necks in that I don't have to resize them(didn't for ~5-6 reloads).
Also, this is a 16.5lb BR gun that is kept in pristine condition.
No way to say what my dimensions contribute to precision, but it's even easier to reload than a 223 or 6br, and easily shoots 1/4moa grouping to 300yds w/139Laps at 3025fps.

I didn't go tightneck for accuracy in the short term, but for accuracy in the long term.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBruce View Post
It's usually safe to assume about .001 springback after firing. Meaning a .276 chamber neck will give .275 fired case necks. If loaded rounds are .275 then you've maybe only got .001 clearance or .0005" all the way around the loaded neck/bullet before it's fired.

In a stricly competition gun that is kept squeaky clean, that would maybe work if you didn't want to resize cases......fitted neck gun is the term I've heard........I bet you need a press to seat bullets (without sizing first)...... they probably wont seat with your fingers??

If that's the case, and it's a hunting gun that might get a little dirty between cleanings, I'd clean up (or turn down) the necks a little. Shouldn't take much, maybe .0005 to .0008 off the current neck thickness. Whatever you take off will be double by time you go full circle. After you turn necks, the tension on a loaded round will decrease unless you change bushing size in the resize die. You may have a tight enough bushing or die neck already, so this might not apply in your case.

If you dont want to turn the necks, a gunsmith can sometimes ream out the chamber neck just a touch. Or, you could try a different brand of brass that has thinner necks to begin with. If you've never turned necks, you can be in for quite a little expense with expander mandrels, turning mandrels, power case drivers, case holders, neck turner and cutters, tubing or neck thickness micrometers, ect. They are all necessary to turn a high volume of cases to within tight tolerances.

Sinclair International is a great place to get neck turning equipment IMO. Most of the customer service people know what they are talking about and are very helpful.

Just my opinion, but most rifles that are capable, don't need neck turning for 1/2 MOA groups, 1/2 minute and even better should come easy with good rifles and decent handloads/load development. But.........If we are after sub 1/4 MOA and better all the time, that's when we take off the high spots, or get tight neck chambers and turn down brass.

Good Luck
I use a Sinclair neck turner (have two actually), and if I were to buy another neck turner; it'd be a K&M! The Sinclair is pretty accurate, but a real bugger to make adjustments on (even with a .0001" dial indicator attached to it. Both of mine will freeze up if not in semi constant useage. Aluminum and steel are not compatable working together and steel will cause aluminum to corrode around the male threads of the adjustment screw and cutter. For some reason the K&M's don't do this. I did fix one of my Sinclairs a few years back, and it works great.
gary
Old 11-07-2012, 11:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
I have a gun with a fitted chamber(not just necks).
26wssm imp, chamber nk: .291, I turn necks to 13thou thick: .290 loaded.
My fired necks spring back to .289, and I lightly partial NS using a Wilson & .288 bushing for tension that worked out from load development.

I'd say it's fitted necks in that I don't have to resize them(didn't for ~5-6 reloads).
Also, this is a 16.5lb BR gun that is kept in pristine condition.
No way to say what my dimensions contribute to precision, but it's even easier to reload than a 223 or 6br, and easily shoots 1/4moa grouping to 300yds w/139Laps at 3025fps.

I didn't go tightneck for accuracy in the short term, but for accuracy in the long term.
Ron Pence used to have a 6BR (or 6PPC) that the neck and chamber were fitted very tight. He never resized a case, and literally seated the next bullet in a once fired case untouched except for priming. Was the gun accurate? Good enough to win 80% of the benchrest shoots in this country
gary
Old 11-07-2012, 12:06 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks every one I have a K&M and I have Neck turned before . I'll be doing that in this caliber from now on ?
Old 11-07-2012, 12:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
Ron Pence used to have a 6BR (or 6PPC) that the neck and chamber were fitted very tight. He never resized a case, and literally seated the next bullet in a once fired case untouched except for priming. gary
I could do this. If I had an enclosure for my RCBS CM, I could go to the range with a single case, shoot all day, & it wouldn't slow me a bit.

As part of reloading ease in this, I do not need predictable precision in turner adjustments(K&M), because I rarely replace any brass once prepped. I also don't need to trim, or anneal beyond initial.
I can use use Sinclair's cheapest turner(although I have their best), with a feeler gauge and a couple cases culled due to thickness variance. And IMO getting the exact thickness is trial & error anyway.
Not a big deal.
I started with K&M, but switched to Sinclair for their expander system, which is the best overall whether turning or not.

For my preps, I picked ~120cases from 1,000 that were closest matching in thickness variance. Prepped them, Lead dipped to mid body, fireformed, measured H20 capacity & picked ~70 that matched. These have outlasted 1.5 barrels now, and I can see they will just keep going.
Most competitors can wear out their brass with all kinds of clearances and shortcuts in reloading. But it doesn't have to be that way, and they're not really shortcuts.
I suspect that Ron Pence's approach would work as well and easier while planned for up front.