Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Who makes the best hand priming tool?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2011, 01:22 PM
Gold Member

Re: Who makes the best hand priming tool?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
IMO, K&M makes the best hand priming tool, as it stands alone to provide what no other does:
Precision Reloading: K & M Primer Deluxe Seating Tool with Gauge
+1 to Mikecr's choice.

........K&M is sweet set up.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:23 PM
Platinum Member

I threw away the Lee Auto Prime years ago - the thought of a few dozen primers going off unexpectedly scares me (altho I never had the experience). Have a K&M now, it is great. The Sinclair is just as good Dunno about the RCBS.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:28 PM
Silver Member

I like Lee's new version of their hand priming tool. Better than the old one. Which I broke the handle on.

The new version has the next primer coming out of the tray when you are priming a case. Plus, you have to have the tool pointed at an angle to make the primers move through the tool. Which I think is safer keeping the tool pointing away from your face.

I tried the press when I broke my first Lee priming tool. Just didn't like the feel.

Jason
Old 05-30-2011, 04:40 PM
Bronze Member

I like my RCBS. Never use my reloading press to prime my rifle cases anymore.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:47 PM
Platinum Member

I've used the Lee, the RCBS, and the Sinclair.

My favorite of the 3 is the Lee. Loaded many thousands of PD and varmint rounds with it.

I also like the Sinclair but it's quite a bit slower. RCBS is in between, faster than the Sinclair but slower than the Lee. Don't have as much "feel" with the RCBS as the other two.

I've never seen the K&M tool.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:19 PM
Gold Member

[QUOTE=royinidaho;511907]Is there anyway that the case head is floating in the case holder as the primer is being seated? I would seem that if the ram is allowing the primer punch to fully and consistently press the primer to the bottom of the primer pocket you shouldn't have the problem. . . . unless primer pocket depth from case to case is not consistent...

Royinidaho,
Not sure of the cause of the problem exactly, but there is a problem there for sure. I haven't looked into being able to prime on the downstroke, but it would seem to work much better. If the primer pocket depth is inconsistent, then I would first try to blame it on the brass. I clean my primer pockets and feel like I get the fouling out pretty good to eliminate that problem. Oh well, another excuse to buy a new tool.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:24 PM
Gold Member

A big thanks to everyone's advice. I really appreciate the input from the guys that have used the equipment before laying down hard-earned cash for a purchase. Thanks again.