Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Who makes the best hand priming tool?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2011, 11:42 AM
Gold Member

Who makes the best hand priming tool?

I was trying to learn how my Hornady Lock and Load headspace guage works and get the feel for measuring case length from the shoulder the other day, then I noticed that not all of my primers were seated properly. Some were about .001" protruding from the head of the case. I know this is a bad thing for accuracy, and even worse for safety. I have been priming with my Lyman press. I put a great deal of pressure on the ram to hopefully seat the primers into the pocket deeper. I can't really do much else with the press I'm afraid, so I am considering using a hand priming tool. Can anyone make a suggestion?
Old 05-30-2011, 11:54 AM
Silver Member

Re: Who makes the best hand priming tool?

Dunno about best, had no problems with this one yet and you dont have to mess with shellholders etc, works pretty nice. Check out the reviews.

RCBS Universal Hand Priming Tool - MidwayUSA
Old 05-30-2011, 12:02 PM

I'll also say I don't know about this being the best but the Lee hand primer works great for me.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:37 PM
Platinum Member

Is there anyway that the case head is floating in the case holder as the primer is being seated? I would seem that if the ram is allowing the primer punch to fully and consistently press the primer to the bottom of the primer pocket you shouldn't have the problem. . . . unless primer pocket depth from case to case is not consistent...

When priming with a press, RCBS Jr., I turned things around so as to prime on the down stroke to have a bit of "feel" when the primer seats.

I don't know if the Lyman can be adjusted to prime on a down stroke of the handle??

I got tired of the switching of the press and went with a Lee hand primer. Works great for me. I really like the "feel".
Old 05-30-2011, 12:47 PM
Silver Member

Sinclair Priming Tool - Sinclair
Old 05-30-2011, 01:01 PM
Platinum Member

IMO, K&M makes the best hand priming tool, as it stands alone to provide what no other does:
Precision Reloading: K & M Primer Deluxe Seating Tool with Gauge
Old 05-30-2011, 01:18 PM
Silver Member

Best for mass production of Varmint Cartridges .....the old Lee ( I like to FEEL the Primer seat ) .....no experience with the new Lee . Best for BenchRest Type activities : K&M with Dial indicator , Sinclair , and some other Custom Stuff I've seen where you do ...one at a time , and they are built like an old Swiss Watch to last 100 years !