Well it was -31 this morning when I put it to paper. Today was our last day of Whitetail season, so I wanted to load it with something accurate & fast enough so I could just put it to paper & continue on my day hunting.
Last night I pondered where to load this thing at. I decided on 79gr H870. Why? I figured this would be enough powder to get me some speed & not get me in trouble. I also sized & loaded the two test rounds after the build to see if I was going to have a once fired issue again. Bot rounds fired & extracted no problem. Here is what it did. Keep in mind it was -31 & the shooter may have rushed a bit. Mind you I do like what I see
Top shell was the 2nd shot after a horizontal & vertical adjustment. The first shot hit the target beside this one (not shown). The next 2 were fired after another correction & the last three were after another adjustment. I am not sure why the rifle wandered a bit back to the left? There was no wind it was just bloody cold. After the 3 shot group I made one more correction to the right & fired at the other target (not shown) & it was dead center of the top dot. Good enough to go hunting. Man what a muzzle flash though
The chrony did not work in the AM, but I did set it up when the sun poked out for 1 cold bore shot. 15 feet from the muzzle gave me 3274 FPS ;) Judging by the group I think I may be pretty close. Some tweaking when it is warmer out & we should be in the ballpark.
I did neck size one round when I got home and put a primer in the case. Primer pocket still very nice & tight. Not like some reloads I have done over the years ;) The re-sized shell goes back in the chamber like nothing
Here is the load details
Hornady 300 WM brass necked to 264 & trimmed to 2.610
Federal 215M Primer
COL 3.530. 20 thousandths off the lands.
.295 neck before firing & .298 neck after firing.
.514 at the expansion ring.
Nothing to shoot at today, not even a coyote :( Had one doe tag left, but in -31 weather it was going to have to be big to get my hands dirty.
So far all looks good.