Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

When to trim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2007, 10:05 PM
Bronze Member

When to trim

If your minimum chamber length/base to case mouth is 2.502, when should I trim back? Is there a rule of thumb for when to trim? Thanks in advance, Jim R
Old 12-05-2007, 10:11 PM
Silver Member

My personal rule of thumb is, if any of my cases are over max length, I trim all the cases I'm fixin' to reload. Also, If I'm showing a wide varience in case lengths I'll trim em' all. If you're loading for accuracy You want all your necks to be very close in length to keep your neck tension consistant, having necks that are very close in length helps with that. Hope that helps.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:14 PM
Platinum Member

+1 Devildoc,

Also, if I have necks that aren't square, I'll just square them up.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 12-05-2007, 10:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim R View Post
If your minimum chamber length/base to case mouth is 2.502, when should I trim back? Is there a rule of thumb for when to trim? Thanks in advance, Jim R
Hi Jim,

I'm not sure what you mean by 'minimum chamber length'. Is this a SAAMI spec number? Do you mean SAAMI max case length?

Have you measured your actual chamber length? Sinclair Int'l makes a cheap and easy to use gadget to do this at: Welcome to Sinclair International's Online Store

Sinclair's book talks about actually measuring your chamber length using the above tool and then using that as a gauge to determine your trim length--a length particular to your chamber instead of a number in a book that may be causing you to trim much more than needed. If I recall correctly, they did some studies and looked at various publications and arrived at a number of .021 less than your chamber length as a max case length. In general, I believe they were talking about BR rounds. Knowing this you can adjust your trim length to fit your needs. I've been using this number with a 300RUM for several years and it's allowed me to keep a bit longer neck than I would've otherwise and not trim quite as often Good luck.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 12-05-2007, 10:53 PM
Bronze Member

My exact max case length is 2.502 as provided by my gunsmith and confirmed by the Sinclair case length gauge (wonderful piece of equipment). After 4 or 5 firings from my 6.5-06, they are approaching the 2.470-2.480 range. This is a custom gun with all the measurments in hand so I am not real concerned about SAAMI. Thanks, Jim R
Old 12-06-2007, 01:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim R View Post
My exact max case length is 2.502 as provided by my gunsmith and confirmed by the Sinclair case length gauge (wonderful piece of equipment). After 4 or 5 firings from my 6.5-06, they are approaching the 2.470-2.480 range. This is a custom gun with all the measurments in hand so I am not real concerned about SAAMI. Thanks, Jim R

OK, you didn't state what cartridge you were shooting or that the gun was custom initially. SAAMI's not so important--never was if you know your particular chamber length.

So, you used a Sinclair 'chamber length gauge' (not a 'case length gauge') to check your actual chamber length (not max case length) against the number your 'smith gave you (2.502), correct? (The correct terminology is (being on the same page) is very important in this particular discussion.)

If you can reply affirmatively to the above statement, my experience with a 300RUM at top loads is that I don't trim until I'm within .015 or so of my max chamber length as found by using the Sinclair Chamber Length Gauge. Just my experience. I'm no expert, but I'd say you've got another firing or two in those cases before trimming. Just keep on eye on them and check how much they are stretching after each firing. You may find that with milder loads, they stop stretching and you may not need to trim for a very long time. But, personnally, I problaby wouldn't let them go past 2.490. JMHO. Good luck and have fun shooting!

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl

Last edited by jmden; 12-06-2007 at 01:39 PM. Reason: typos
Old 12-06-2007, 02:34 PM
Silver Member

I also use the Sinclair Chamber Length Gauge for all of my rifles. Each rifle has a data book where I write down max length, trim length, jam-length OAL, etc...

When I am loading, I reference that particular rifle's book and trim specifically for that max length minus .025. Only when a case is longer than that value will I trim, but all cases are trimmed to the same length. Shorter cases than that value aren't used for accuracy loads.