Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

When is too much pressure???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2010, 06:22 PM
Gold Member

When is too much pressure???

I am a reloader and I know all the indicators for pressure, bolt lift, ejector marks, primer pockets, primer flattening etc.... My question is when is it dangerous. I have heard that ejector marks show high pressure but if the bolt lift is still normal your not going to blow your face up. I dont really care about brass life so could someone clear up when over pressure is too much over pressure? I have a load for one of my guns that for some reason is showing pressure signs when it never showed them before in load development. I get ejector marks but the bolt lift seems fine. Its shooting moa groups at 1,000 yards so I dont really want to change anything.

Thanks
Old 08-12-2010, 12:17 AM
Silver Member

Re: When is too much pressure???

This is only half serious, and I am not necessarily recommending it. But it is true.

I have found that I can ruin an ejector pin and blow a primer while maintaining good accuracy without (yet) blowing up my gun and/or my person. 6.5-284 brass is expensive though, and all be it that I am able to replace the ejector pin without going to a better equipped gunsmith, i would prefer to preserve the working life of my rifle, and I believe that if I were to maintain these pressures continuously, the rifle would give way in some manner sooner rather than later.

that said, when the case comes out without the primer, you are at maximum. Beyond that I believe you are strolling deep into the danger zone.

On a real note, if you are just going to hunt with it, if the average case life for the cartridge is generally 10 shots, I would stick to loads that do no more than cut that in half, to say, five shots. when the primer pocket starts to loosen, you should stop using that case, don't try for one more round from it, even if you are pretty sure it is good for one more. if case necks are blowing early in the case life, it is too hot or you need better brass, or possibly just to aneal it.

Disclaimer:

Nothing I have mentioned here are truely safe reloading practices, and I do not recommend loading that hot EVER. But it is the answer to your question in my experience. If you want something faster than what is easily achievable in your cartridge, you should either rechamber the rifle or get one in a chambering that meets your needs.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfvickers View Post
This is only half serious, and I am not necessarily recommending it. But it is true.

I have found that I can ruin an ejector pin and blow a primer while maintaining good accuracy without (yet) blowing up my gun and/or my person. 6.5-284 brass is expensive though, and all be it that I am able to replace the ejector pin without going to a better equipped gunsmith, i would prefer to preserve the working life of my rifle, and I believe that if I were to maintain these pressures continuously, the rifle would give way in some manner sooner rather than later.

that said, when the case comes out without the primer, you are at maximum. Beyond that I believe you are strolling deep into the danger zone.

On a real note, if you are just going to hunt with it, if the average case life for the cartridge is generally 10 shots, I would stick to loads that do no more than cut that in half, to say, five shots. when the primer pocket starts to loosen, you should stop using that case, don't try for one more round from it, even if you are pretty sure it is good for one more. if case necks are blowing early in the case life, it is too hot or you need better brass, or possibly just to aneal it.

Disclaimer:

Nothing I have mentioned here are truely safe reloading practices, and I do not recommend loading that hot EVER. But it is the answer to your question in my experience. If you want something faster than what is easily achievable in your cartridge, you should either rechamber the rifle or get one in a chambering that meets your needs.
+1 well said.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:38 AM
Bronze Member

Any time that pressure signs are there, you are flirting with danger.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:35 AM
Platinum Member

Personally, I would scale it down and rework the load. It will not take you that long. Better safe than sorry than have something bad happen to you. Curious as to what has change to give you more pressure all of a sudden.
COAL change and put bullet into the lands ?
Buy new can of powder and it has a different burn rate ?
Need to recalibrate powder scale?
Carbon ring in neck of chamber ?
Give it some thought.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:18 PM
Gold Member

I was wondering the same thing. Its the same lot of powder, I calibrate my scale each time I reload, I havent adjusted my dies at all, it could be a carbon ring....?

I ended up backing off 1/2gr of powder and Im still getting great accuracy with no pressure signs.

Last edited by ovastafford; 08-15-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovastafford View Post
I ended up backing off 1/2gr of powder and Im still getting great accuracy with no pressure.
If you are getting no pressure, then how are you getting the bullet out of the barrel?