Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

When reloading becomes the best option

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2010, 08:21 AM
Platinum Member

Re: When reloading becomes the best option

The only time I ever shoot factory ammo in anything center fire is because it was cheap surplus ammo for my old military rifles or somebody gave me the ammo and I am shooting it up for the cases to load. Any serious shooting is done with handloads because it is the most accurate load that has been worked up for each weapon. It cost you a bunch to get into reloading equipment so the cost savings is not much for the first 30 years or so I have found but it sure is fun and the accuracy is there.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Outdoors View Post
I don't look at reloading as much of a savings - I shoot more when I reload, but I spend just as much. The biggest advantage of reloading is the ability to fine tune a load that's best in your particular gun. Occasionally factory rounds perform consistently well in a particular gun, but more often than not if you want to get your bullet holes touching each other then you'll have to reload to find that special load and control your quality.
+1. This is just my 2nd year reloading and looked at it as a hobby instead. Warning: it could be addicting. .

Good luck!

Ed

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:42 AM
Bronze Member

I started reloading/handloading last year.

I love shooting but it became somewhat boring shooting the same darn bullet downrange all the time and nothing being different other than shooting distance.

Now....holy moley. I can shoot a different bullet brand, bullet style, bullet weight, powder brand, powder weight, primer, brass, and seat them all at different depths. and,and,and,and..... YOW!!!

Plus...My man cave looks much cooler with all that reloading stuff in it
Old 07-02-2010, 09:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donny70 View Post
so might have to bite the bullet (pardon the pun) and just do it...
Well don't bite to hard or ya might break a tooth. I reload for accuracy, cost is secondary for me.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:05 PM
Silver Member

Herin lies the question... Do you wish to reload just save money? Or because you really want to see what your rifle is capable of in the accuracy dept? It takes time to produce good handloads. If your unable or unwilling to invest the time into doing it right your much better off sticking with factory ammo.
There are a surprising number of reloaders who cannot reload ammo as good as they can go buy off the shelf. If your happy with a load that shoots "good enough" stick with buying factory ammo. Regardless of what people say and reloading equipment ads reloading will NOT SAVE ANY MONEY!! If you only shoot a little bit you have a pretty good cash outlay in equipment, If you shoot a lot...reloading just gives you a lot more bang for your buck. If you ever factor in your time at minimum wage your usually ahead of the game just buying factory ammo.

That being said if you have a hard to find cartridge its is almost a necessity to reload. The huge benefit to handloading though is the ability to custom tailor ammunition to a specific rifle for maximum accuracy. Not MAX velocity which some reloaders get off on.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 458win View Post
Herin lies the question... Do you wish to reload just save money? Or because you really want to see what your rifle is capable of in the accuracy dept? It takes time to produce good handloads. If your unable or unwilling to invest the time into doing it right your much better off sticking with factory ammo.
There are a surprising number of reloaders who cannot reload ammo as good as they can go buy off the shelf. If your happy with a load that shoots "good enough" stick with buying factory ammo. Regardless of what people say and reloading equipment ads reloading will NOT SAVE ANY MONEY!! If you only shoot a little bit you have a pretty good cash outlay in equipment, If you shoot a lot...reloading just gives you a lot more bang for your buck. If you ever factor in your time at minimum wage your usually ahead of the game just buying factory ammo.

That being said if you have a hard to find cartridge its is almost a necessity to reload. The huge benefit to handloading though is the ability to custom tailor ammunition to a specific rifle for maximum accuracy. Not MAX velocity which some reloaders get off on.
I can see where your comming from on part of your post, but I gotta say I very strongly dissagree with the statement about not saving any money. You cannot put your time into the equasion period. It is a hobby or a personal intrest, or a quest, or a necesity, but you cant put a price on it. unless you consider your rifle a worthless money pit that you just have to keep feeding and isnt worth the time and money invested to make it shoot better. I suppose if thats your frame of mind then,.....ya buy factory ammo. But if you look at the numbers ****about $6.00 per box of 20 vs $35.00-54.00**** then add in how much better it will shoot if you have even 1 ounce of tallent involved in your handloading technique, Id say it MORE THAN SAVES YOU MONEY, infact Id say it PAYS YOU BACK DOUBLE what you put into it. if your gonna put in range time and not deligate it to ''wasted time and $'' then you gotta look at loading the same way.

Heres where I agree with you;
Everyone who loads agrees that case prep sucks! but most anyone will tell you you get out what you put into it. If you want your rifle to shoot better invest the time and $ into loading equipment. If your lazy and have absolutely 0 tallent what-so-ever, and consider hitting a pie plate at 100 yds accurate then you probably wouldnt shoot your rifle enough to enough to pay for the equipment anyway. This opinion includes that percentage of folks that have a rifle that likes a particular factory load, and practices once a year with it. Loading equipment probably wont do you much good either.
But practice builds confidence, and accuracy builds confidence , and confidence builds a fire under your butt to shoot more witch also makes it harder to recoup your money ''quickly'', but eventually you will recoup that initial investment, and have a much more accurate rifle to boot.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 07-04-2010, 01:38 AM
Silver Member

Well alright if you wish to compare apples to apples

Here is the break down on my 280 ackley Improved

Nosler brass $60 for 50. $1.20 a case say 10 loadings a case $0.12
Nosler accubonds $25 for 50 $0.50 bullet
Powder 61grs H4831 $25 a lb $0.22
114 loads per lb
Primers $34 per 1000 $0.034

That works out to $0.84 a round which = out to be $16.80 a box.

Factory Ammo Winchester Supreme Ballistic tip $34 a box (new cabela's mag) Remington corelokts are cheaper yet at $28. Handloading cost about 50% what factory will run you. For the average shooter who shoots less then 100rds a year (5 boxes) that would be a "savings" of $80 a year considering he shot his full 100rds. For a good reloading setup comprised of RCBS and redding gear will run $400. That means it will take 5 years to pay for itself.

223 Remington

brass $28/100 /10 = $0.028
Ballisic tip $19/100 $0.19
Powder $25 lb IMR4895 25gr 280 loads $0.09
Primers $34 per 1000 $0.034

$0.34 a round = $6.80 a box

Factory Fiocchi 50gr Vmax
200rds for $140 = $0.70

Again about 50% savings...

Now here is the PROBLEM....
Factory guy----Buys 2 boxes of shells for the .280 ackley $34x2=$68. Sight the gun in shoot at a coyote or two, maybe a chuck then save the rest for deer and elk season. Total yearly ammo expenditures... $68

Reloader guy who has a reloading setup thats was a gift (Yes you can still dream).. However 1lb of powder $25, 2 boxes of bullets $40, primers $3.40, brass $120. Go to the range a couple times, work up loads, try new stuff, shoot coyotes/rabbits/chucks/squirrels...$188.4!!!! Drats out of components have to go buy more!! (at least the brass is free for at least 9 more go arounds hopefully)

And that is why reloading doesn't save you any money whatsoever

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmag View Post
I can see where your comming from on part of your post, but I gotta say I very strongly dissagree with the statement about not saving any money. You cannot put your time into the equasion period. It is a hobby or a personal intrest, or a quest, or a necesity, but you cant put a price on it. unless you consider your rifle a worthless money pit that you just have to keep feeding and isnt worth the time and money invested to make it shoot better. I suppose if thats your frame of mind then,.....ya buy factory ammo. But if you look at the numbers ****about $6.00 per box of 20 vs $35.00-54.00**** then add in how much better it will shoot if you have even 1 ounce of tallent involved in your handloading technique, Id say it MORE THAN SAVES YOU MONEY, infact Id say it PAYS YOU BACK DOUBLE what you put into it. if your gonna put in range time and not deligate it to ''wasted time and $'' then you gotta look at loading the same way.

Heres where I agree with you;
Everyone who loads agrees that case prep sucks! but most anyone will tell you you get out what you put into it. If you want your rifle to shoot better invest the time and $ into loading equipment. If your lazy and have absolutely 0 tallent what-so-ever, and consider hitting a pie plate at 100 yds accurate then you probably wouldnt shoot your rifle enough to enough to pay for the equipment anyway. This opinion includes that percentage of folks that have a rifle that likes a particular factory load, and practices once a year with it. Loading equipment probably wont do you much good either.
But practice builds confidence, and accuracy builds confidence , and confidence builds a fire under your butt to shoot more witch also makes it harder to recoup your money ''quickly'', but eventually you will recoup that initial investment, and have a much more accurate rifle to boot.

Last edited by 458win; 07-04-2010 at 01:45 AM.